3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Configuring Word Send To Menu (2000 SP4)

Where does word store its settings for the "Send To" menu item? I recently installed a third party bluetooth stack, because the windows XP native stack wasn't working well with my phones, but it's annoyingly added "Bluetooth" to the Word "Send To" menu, and now normal.dot changes every time I open word. I've removed the bluetooth links from Windows Send To folder, but that hasn't affected word. Can't find anything searching here or MSKB, and have tried searching my registry for the name of the bluetooth recipient, and have checked the word startup folder, and can't find anything to help.

Where does Word store these settings, and how can I prevent other apps tinkering with them?

Thanks

Thanks

Re: Configuring Word Send To Menu (2000 SP4)

Sounds as though you might have picked up an add-in. Check the folder identified under Tools>Options..., File Locations, Startup. Also try the COM Add-ins dialog. You might need to use Tools>Customize..., Commands tab, Tools category, to add this to a menu or toolbar.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions. I'd looked in the startup folder - nada. Add-ins - just the Endnote add-in I'd had for years. Excellent pointer about the COM add ins, but unfortunately also drew a blank - only the google desktop search add in, which I've also had for ages.

Have attached screen shot, just to make clear.

Am pretty certain that this is the normal.dot altering culprit, as comparing pre and post normal dots, big chunk of text in latter referring to bluetooth and D500. Can't understand why it would change ever time I opened word, though.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Searching the newsgroups turns up that the culprit is btsendto_office.dll, most probably in the C:WindowsSystem32 folder. You can get rid of the problem by removing or renaming this file, e.g. to btsendto_office.old. Of course, you'll also lose the ability to send to a bluetooth device through File | Send To from Office applications (not just Word).

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks very much Hans, that was the problem.

Apologies that you seemed to find the answer so swiftly from an ng search - I feel bad. I think I was making the mistake of looking for information on controlling Word's send to menu, rather than looking for specific answer to this "bluetooth" related problem. I had tried!!

This also solved the problem of office apps wanting to make a UDP connection to local host on port 37926, which had been irritating me.

Thanks once again.