Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Replace hard drive

I have a six-year-old HP computer that I think is about to trash its hard drive. It makes a high-pitched, tinny noise when I do a cold re-start. This is one of those boxes that has the recovery stuff on a separate partition on the hard drive. If the drive fails, it's bye-bye recovery partition. I chatted with HP online tonite to ask about buying a recovery disk. Yes, "Rob" wrote...for $40, plus $120-150 for a new drive, Of course, Rob suggested a new PC.

Can I copy that recovery partition onto a CD and use the copy to clone the drive?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Replace hard drive

There should be a way to Burn CDs of the OS. Most OEM's have the process listed in the "System Restore" area, as a option to burn them.
    The attachment is the second screen (first Next), of my Sony Recovery Wizard.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

I've now learned that my machine has nothing like what you describe. HP and Compaq units built after spring 2003 do have it, but this box is at least one or two years older. HP tells me I'll have to purchase a restore disc ($40). Oh well....

Nudder question: Is there any reason a new EIDE hard drive would not work? (EIDE vs plain-vanilla IDE, that is.) What's the difference between IDE and EIDE?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

There is no difference between EIDE and IDE, any drive you can buy should work on any IDE controller.

StuartR