Star Lounger
    Thanks

Moving PST and favorites files (XP O2003 current version)

I just bought a new computer. I have Office 2003 on both machines. I can't get Outlok in the new system tto recognize the PST files I copied over.
    My actions:
    Copied Outlook, next level up from PST, inside the local settings tree to CD
    copied that file onto a holding folder on the new system
    deleted the existing Outlook folder from local settings area of the new system
    copied Outlook folder to same local settings folder location

When I start Outlook it says the PST file is not a PST file. Obvioulsy I am doing something wrong but I have not been able to find the answer I can understand with a search in the Lounge.

I have the same issue with Favorites. It says I do not have permission for the copy/write.

Suggestion or a pointer to an article would be much appreciated
    Regards,

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: Moving PST and favorites files (XP O2003 current version)

Leave the folder on the new machine alone. Copy the pst file from the old machine to some other folder on the new PC. Then Import it in Outlook telling the import to your new Outlook telling it to overwrite fodlers with the same name.

Joe
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Moving PST and favorites files (XP O2003 current version)

Hi Joe,
    Thanks. As of now I have the PST file for the fmail olders and the contacts list but no address book. I can't figure how to automate that. It says that I have no permission and/or can't find it. The PST file is 12m and a bak file is 15m and the archive file is 25m. Could it be hiding in ther some where or did I screw it up with my actions?

A side question, I have my wife on OE, and some old mail accounts fo me. That is not coming over any easier. I have 2 IDs set up now for her and they imported the wrong mail folders in them. Can I just delete all the identities I have and start fresh? Is "Main Identity" really important and should not be deleted? Thanks again.
    Regards,