Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sites won't load (6 (SP2))

On a sporadic bases, there are websites that will not load. One of these is the college where I teach part-time. www.jjc.edu. On occasion there are other sites that will not load either: today that includes www.southwest.com. I have deleted all temp. Internet files and cookies. Comncast is our ISP.

Am not aware of any settings that would block these sites.

This is very frustrating as I need to get to the college site on a daily basis.

Help????

Nancy

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Sites won't load (6 (SP2))

Try the following:
    - Select Start | (All) Programs | Accessories | Command Prompt.
    - Enter the following in the window that appears, then press Enter:
    <code>
    ping www.southwest.com
    </code>
    If you see a list of timings, you can at least reach the site (at the moment). More research will be needed to find out why it doesn't open in the browser.

If you get 'timed out' however, try the following then press Enter:
    <code>
    ping 63.169.44.100
    </code>
    63.169.44.100 is the IP address I get for southwest.com.
    If this succeeds, you may have a DNS problem. The helpdesk of your ISP should be able to recommend a DNS server address (and to tell you how to specify it).
    If this fails too, there is a serious problem with your internet connection. You should contact your ISP about it.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans. Following your directions, I was able to ping the IP address for Southwest. Got a Timed Out message with the college account.

Decided to try typing in the IP address for both Southwest and the college in the Address Bar of the Browser. I was able to quickly get to each site.

Why? Would would the IP address work and not the URL?
    Do you think all of this is related to the ISP? I have McAfee with Site Advisor. Would anything in that be causing the problem?

Nancy

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you can get to a site using the IP address but not using the URL, it points to a DNS problem. There could be a problem with the college's DNS, or with the DNS you are using. The former will have to be solved by the college, your ISP should be able to recommend a solution for the latter. You can solve this for the moment as follows:
    - Locate the file C:WindowsSystem32DriversEtcHosts (it is a filename without an extension)
    - Make sure that the file is not read-only.
    - Open the file and tell Windows to open it in Notepad.
    - Add two lines at the end of the file like this:
    <code>
    71.250.240.251 www.wopr.com
    71.250.240.251 wopr.com
    </code>
    with the correct IP address and URL. This tells the browser to bypass the DNS server and go immediately to the correct IP address.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you Thank you thank you!

It worked for both the college and Southwest Airlines. sites. I'll talk with the ISP to see if there is a problem on their end.

Nancy