2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Text Needs to Wrap Over Permanent Lines (2000 / 9.0.2720)

I am working on a form to be completed by hand and in Word. The two forms must look exactly alike. One portion is a series of underlines extending from margin to margin, and the length must never change, like this ...

How do I type text "on" the lines without affecting the lines?

A table would be a perfect solution, using a separate row for each line. But then, text doesn't wrap from one row to the next row.

I'm thinking there is a simple way to accomplish this, but cannot remember one. Can you help me with this?

Diane

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Text Needs to Wrap Over Permanent Lines (2000 / 9.0.2720)

Does this document work for what you want?

The lines are a simple graphic, placed in the document header.
    The text "Enter your text here..." is in a text box, that has no fill or borders and has its wrap set to Top and Bottom.
    The line spacing for the text in the text box is set to 1.5 lines and the graphical lines have been moved to line up with this.

StuartR
    Attached Files Attached Files
    • File Type: doc x.doc (24.5 KB, 5 views)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That works as far as I'm concerned. The form will be completed by volunteers working for this organization. I'll present it this way and see if they are comfortable with the text box being visible while typing in it.

At one point, I had placed the entire form in the header and footer (it wouldn't all fit in the header), but couldn't figure out how to type over it. The text box seems to be the answer.

Thank you for the suggestion. If you have any alternatives (in case they think the text box might be a problem for their volunteers), I'd like to hear them. I appreciate the quick response.

Diane

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Hi Diane,

Here's a variation on the same theme. This one uses tabbed underlining within the text box, rather than a set of lines behind it. This also makes it easy to change the line spacing (via format paragraph) and the number of lines spanned (by changing the text box's height). As you'll see, the lines go to the text margins, rather than to the edge of the page. The only limitation you need to be aware of is that this approach rules out the use of any other tabs in the text box.
    • File Type: doc y.doc (19.0 KB, 5 views)
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I've tried variations of both ideas given, and here is my current problem.

The form also uses field codes. When the form is protected, I cannot access the text box. (Didn't realize this until now.)

Tell me I'm overlooking something very basic, and enlighten me with the simple solution!

Diane

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Hi Diane,

If you put a Section break before the text box (and one after it if there's more formfirlds there too, then protect only the Sections with the formfields, your users will be able to access the textbox. To set up the protection, use Tools|Protect Document>Forms>Sections and uncheck wichever Section the textbox is in.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Of course ... section breaks. Adding a section break above the Description with lines was not a problem. Adding the section break below that area was a problem. I couldn't get it to appear between the bold border at the bottom of the lines and the table that follows that area.

I could always set up the table info as tabs if necessary.

Attached is the file ...

Diane

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Hi Diane,

How about the attached?

I sent the textbox behind the text, then inserted a one-cell table over it to constrain the free-form data entry and set the para style to 'Fillin' - which I created to match the line spacing in the textbox.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Macropod, you've done it!

I did not realize the option to move the text box behind text was even there, and I work with another graphics program regularly. I was also able to add another field code inside the table. After protecting Section 2, I was able to move through the entire form without having to use the mouse -- my goal!

The line spacing in the text box had to be adjusted. I set it at 20.5 pt. (I use points in other graphics work.) This was odd because it seems if the line spacing in the text box is set at 1.5 lines, and the line spacing in the table is set at 1.5 lines, text would line up perfectly. Instead, each line would creep up slightly. After trying different settings, I found that 20.5 pt. in the table lined up perfectly with the text box set at 1.5 lines. Try to understand that!

I sent a couple other options to them yesterday to try. I'll send this to them this evening. I know they will choose this one because the form conforms to what they want, and the ease of use is what I want. Thank you so much!

Diane

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Hi Diane,

Glad to be of help.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]