Thanks

IDE 2 SATA (WinXP-SP-2)

I started perusing Newegg.com, looking at hard drives.

I've heard that you are better off with SATA, even if your motherboard doesn't natively accept same (which mine does not), because even with the converter it's better operationally.

That being accepted for the sake of discussion, I went looking for th converters, and here I got a bit lost. The following link Newegg.com lists various types... How do I know what it is that I need (or want) in order to use a SATA drive with my current motherboard?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: IDE 2 SATA (WinXP-SP-2)

Chuck,

I moved your post from the Windows XP forum to the Hardware one, because it is about how to connect hardware!

I don't know where you are getting your advice from, but this seems to me to be introducing additional single points of failure for very limited (or no) possible benefit. I would suggest getting IDE drives, and waiting till you have a new PC with support for SATA before you buy SATA ones. The only exception I can think of is if you are intending to buy a new PC soon, and you want to be able to transfer the disk drives.

StuartR

Thanks

Stuart:

>>
    The only exception I can think of is if you are intending to buy a new PC soon, and you want to be able to transfer the disk drives.
    <<

That's exactly my conundrum. Being almost three years old, I'm having to start thinking about replacing, piece-by-piece, or in toto. Consequently, I would prefer to replace anything that HAS to be so done as soon as possible (as my drive seems to be) in a way to maximize it's efficiency down the road.

It seems that SATA drives are cheaper, because of the thinner cable they would leave more (air) room in the case, and then, of course, maybe even a bit more speed.

Oh, and my "advice" isn't really such, only what I've heard around town as it were, and gotten in answer to questions I ask as to the "why" for the new connectors in the first place.

,Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

You do realize that many studies have shown that the average PC user can not distinguish performance changes < 15%. There is no way that using SATA HDs is going to change you performance 15% or more. Depending on what you are normally run and the amount of RAM you have now, increasing RAM is more likely to give you a performance boost that you will notice. BTW, I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion that you'd get more speed by having more room in your PC.

Joe
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I've heard that you are better off with SATA...

It is only partially true - everything depends what you are using your computer for. If you are working with huge files (several GB in size), for example, copying and editing movies, increasing read/write speed can improve your performance. But if your major tasks are different (gaming, for instance) - increasing amount of installed RAM (system and video) can boost your performance much more than hard drive improvement.

If you plan to buy a new PC, it is better to connect your existing IDE drive to your new computer and copy files.

Be aware: if you have SATA drive as your boot drive, installing Windows XP may be cumbersome. If you plan to move your primary SATA drive from one computer to another, it can be difficult because of different controllers which require different drivers: Windows XP hardware database does not contain ANY SATA drivers. You will need to download a driver for new SATA controller first and then run sysprep, including path to a new driver into sysprep.ini.

Thanks

Sure doesn't seem like the best idea to switch, does it? Oh well...

Chuck