Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

XP Home to Pro (SR-2)

I have a Toshiba Satellite A100 (1.4 GB RAM) with XP Home and all updates, and I have a valid XP Pro SR2 installation CD. I had been under the impression (from a Dummies book) that I could convert the OS from Home to Pro without a clean install by simply installing the one O/S on top of the other. This would retain all of the installed software, which I don't want to lose.

It's fully backed up but I don't want to try it without some reassurance and prospect of success. Has anyone actually done this, or is it pure theory?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: XP Home to Pro (SR-2)

This should work, so long as it really is a valid, non-OEM, licensed copy of Windows XP Pro that hasn't already been installed somewhere else.

StuartR

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

In addition what Stuart said, if you decided to install XP Pro "on top" of XP Home, create full backup (or "image") of your system on removable media before you begin!

If your WinXP Pro Installation Key is not legitimate, Activation routine will make your Windows installation unusable after 50 days. But if you have not retail, but OEM (other than Toshiba) Installation CD, Setup will reject installation and no harm will be done.

Start installation "from inside" Windows - logon to Windows first, then insert the CD and follow the wizard.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you both. I am happy to report that it worked well. I discovered on my own that it should be started from within Windows and was going to report that to Stuart. I had treated it as an installation (boot) disk prior to that, Windows replied with alarming messages about having found an operating system on the drive and the dreadful consequences that might ensue, and that is what led me to post it in the first place. Started from within Windows it is very civilized, complete with sensible recommendations (e.g. upgrade option to preserve settings). One was that I allow it to check online for more a more recent version, which I tried several times before discovering that my own firewall was preventing it. In spite of that, there were 66 Windows updates after installation. It took forever.

One incompatibility specified by Windows is the Toshiba DVD-RAM driver. Since you mention Toshiba, do you know offhand how to resolve that? (They say the same thing for Vista installation.)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you. All appears to be normal with the upgraded computer.