Star Lounger
    Thanks

Site Menu Dies in IE7 (IE7 / WinXPPro SP2)

I've had a web site up for several years. I'm trying to tweak the old code (while, in a separate, unposted area, I completely re-write the site in CSS and make it conform to W3C specs) so that the home page (for starters) displays properly in IE6, IE7, Opera 9.10 and Firefox 2.0.0.1. Results?

IE6 & Opera: Everything looks and works fine. User-called info pop-up boxes (using java script: void(0)) work fine.
    Firefox: "Flyout" menu doesn't work; won't properly display floating "boxes" in CSS (<div> tag calling class from external style sheet). User-called info pop-up boxes work fine. Doesn't display frame sizes properly.
    IE7: LOOKs fine, but "flyout" menu won't work. User-called info pop-up boxes work fine (but may pop up in a separate tab, depending on browser settings).

FWIW, the menu is in javascript and has worked fine for a few years. In IE7, the site in question is a "trusted" site. No code was changed between the changeover from IE6 to IE7. What do I have to change -- either in the IE7 settings or the menu code -- to get the menu working in IE7?

Thanks in advance.

P.S.: If it helps to answer the question, the URL is www.parbarwestward.org.

Thanks

Re: Site Menu Dies in IE7 (IE7 / WinXPPro SP2)

Do you use IE's built in error messages? In IE6, they are under Tools>Internet Options..., Advanced tab, Display scripting errors (approximately).

Obviously it's easier to look at a specific site than to try to make general suggestions about differences.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Turning on the error messages was a good idea, one which had not come to mind. Alas, although that feature is now confirmed as working, it has produced no messages about the menu problem on the web site.

Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sorry, I missed the URL before. This is a very old script (in web years). Try the following change to detect both IE6 and IE7 as IE6:

<code>function lib_bwcheck(){ //Browsercheck (needed)
    this.ver=navigator.appVersion; this.agent=navigator.userAgent
    this.dom=document.getElementById?1:0
    this.ie5=(this.ver.indexOf("MSIE 5")>-1 && this.dom)?1:0;
    this.ie6=((this.ver.indexOf("MSIE 6")>-1 || this.ver.indexOf("MSIE 7")>-1) && this.dom)?1:0;
    this.ie4=(document.all && !this.dom)?1:0;
    this.ie=this.ie4||this.ie5||this.ie6
    this.mac=this.agent.indexOf("Mac")>-1
    this.opera5=this.agent.indexOf("Opera 5")>-1
    this.ns6=(this.dom && parseInt(this.ver) >= 5) ?1:0;
    this.ns4=(document.layers && !this.dom)?1:0;
    this.bw=(this.ie6 || this.ie5 || this.ie4 || this.ns4 || this.ns6 || this.opera5 || this.dom)
    return this
    }</code>

Added: The Firefox debugging is going to take a lot longer. Not sure it's worth it, compared with finding a new menu script.