2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

new video card (Windows XP sp2)

I have a computer that has an on board video card built into the motherboard. The memory is only one meg on the motherboard video card. I would lile to add a video card to the computer that has more memory...Will XP recognize and use the added card? I went into the computor's BIOS setup mode and couldn't find any settings that would turn off the motherboard video card..any guidance is appreciated. thanks in advance, John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: new video card (Windows XP sp2)

I moved the post here John, for I believe it's a question of hardware, not XP. Having said that, I've not turned off an on-board video card while the computer was running XP, so I can't swear to it, but you should be able to add a card and select it for primary use, whether in the BIOS or the OS. It could be that once you add the card, your BIOS may recognize the presence of a slotted card and THEN give you the option of disabling the on-board video. As I said, I can't swear to it, but it shouldn't be "dangerous" to give it a try. The last time I did it was a machine running Win98. However, many people have more than one video card in their machines for various reasons.

Thanks

John,
    I would think your BIOS would have an option to disable the on board video.
    Some older motherboards had a jumper setting on the MB to disable video or sound built in to the board. Check your MB specs for that.
    You could also try going into Device Manager and disabling the Display Adapter there, then shutting down your machine, installing the new card and seeing if the system recognizes the new card instead of the old on- board one.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you to both of your suggestions...I will try them and see what happens...thanks, John

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Answers to your original questions:

1. Most likely your Windows XP would not recognize your new video card (especially latest models) because Windows XP hardware database was created in 2002 and last updated in 2004 (included in SP-2). (You will not loose your video completely: low-resolution mode still will be available.) However, if you get a video card in original package, it is almost certain that CD with appropriate drivers and setup programs will be included. If not, try to download the driver from Internet - you must know the vendor name and exact model to do so.

2. BIOS automatically disables embedded video card by default when PCI or AGP video card is installed. Some BIOSes may have an option not to disable embedded video.