3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Format changes with paste (Excel 2000)

I have a strange problem. When copying text from Word 2000 to insert in a cell in Excel 2000 the font/format changes. In Word the text is Arial 8pt. The style is Arial 8pt. In Excel the cell is formatted as text .. Arial 8pt. However when the text is copied to the clipboard from Word and pasted into Excel it changes to Times New Roman 12 pt, and the format for the cell after pasting changes to General instead of text. ... And the text being copied, in this case, is just text ... no numbers. ... This problem only showed up in the last week or two as nearly as I can tell. When I used this procedure three or four weeks ago everything worked smoothly.

Al

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Format changes with paste (Excel 2000)

What happens if you double click the cell, or select the cell then press F2, before pasting the text from Word?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Double clicking seems to clear that problem. Seems that F2 also helps. Is there an explanation, somewhere, as to why this is necessary? ... Up until a couple of weeks ago this didn't seem to be necessary.

Thanks.
    Al

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Double clicking and pressing F2 both enter edit mode, just like clicking in the Formula bar. If you then paste, you paste only the text, not the formatting.
    I can't explain the font change you describe.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks again, Hans. ... In that this didn't happen to me previously, I was wondering if by some small chance one of MS's little "security upgrades" or similar (this is running on Win 2000) might have changed some function. ... Oh well ... this does make it work.

Al