Thanks

Persistent Link (2003)

I have a workbook with eight sheets. I use it for a template for monthly financial reports. These have changed over time, and my workbook's sheets may have been created from scratch, copied from other workbooks, etc. Sheet1, named Narrative, has a cell named ReportDate. Each time I do a report, I put the proper date in that cell. There are no other named cells or ranges in the workbook.

Six of the sheets have a cell containing the formula =ReportDate, and they easily pick up whatever date I enter into the ReportDate cell in Sheet1.

The seventh sheet, named Operating, has a problem: It has a cell like the others, but it persistently wants to link the ReportDate name to that name in a different workbook (which was made from this template, or used in creating this template, or something else I can't remember). I can break the link in the cell, or delete the contents of the cell, then close and reopen the workbook. When I try to enter =ReportDate into the cell in question, the link reappears.

It's driving me crazy. Any suggestions?
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Persistent Link (2003)

Usually this is solved by changing the range name reference from the external workbook to the correct local cell.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Lou

This seems a quite good article on the subject of phantom links
    Jerry

Thanks

I fixed it, but I don't know how. There were some strange messages about changing the contents of merged cells, and some strange things when I tried the various options under Insert>Names.

I just went through each sheet and looked at Insert>Names>Paste. If I found a name, I deleted it. There were a couple that seemed strange, but I didn't worry about it.

When all names had been deleted to the best of my ability, I picked a new name and applied it to the "master" cell on Sheet1. Then I went to each of the other sheets and used Insert>Names>Paste into the proper cell on each.

Everything seems to work now. Thanks for the tips.
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Lou

Great that it has worked. I think your approach is the best one, clean it out and rename. I find by doing that you save a lot of time instead of trying to find the root cause.
    Jerry

Thanks

Yes, indeed. I looked fairly closely at the "phantom links" article, and since my problem was no more than a minor annoyance, I figured I'd try the easy way first.
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA