Star Lounger
    Thanks

WORD: Multi-page Template (2003 SP2)

I need a company letterhead template for use with multipage documents. The first page is the full letterhead with company identity in the header, company registration info in the footer; second page is a standard header with document info and page number in the header (Page X of Y) with a company branded stamp with company name and continued in the footer; ideally there would be a third footer option without the continued. Is it possible to automate this process using a template and VBA? I can basically read and tweak code but have difficulty starting from scratch.

Thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: WORD: Multi-page Template (2003 SP2)

Why do you want to use VBA for this? If you create a template with the required headers and footers, all new documents created from the template will inherit the headers and footers.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Right. I only meant if necessary.

My problem is creating the second (and any additional) page of the document. How do I include multiple pages in a template that preserve formatting in the headers and footers while allowing the user to type anywhere in the document? I tried doing this with page breaks (next) but found that when I used the template, the cursor is placed before the first page break and therefore causes the unsuspecting user to disrupt the page layout. How do I preserve the layout of a multipage document along with the formatting of the headers and footers while leaving the body of the document for the user to author?

I need a couple of clues. Thanks Hans!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The standard way to do this is through the Layout tab of File | Page Setup...
    You can specify here that the first page has a different header/footer than the rest of the document, and also that even and odd pages have different headers/footers.
    While designing the template, you can temporarily insert hard page breaks (Ctrl+Enter) to create a second and if necessary third page, and set up the header/footer for each page. Even if you then delete the page breaks, so that the template has only one page, the settings for the header/footer of subsequent pages will be stored with the template.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Also, for your "continued..." text you can use an if field like this.

{ IF { PAGE } < { NUMPAGES } "Continued..." "" }

Enter the { } characters using Control-F9

You can include this field in the footer of every page and it will put the text Continued... on every page except the last one.

StuartR