Star Lounger
    Thanks

Virus check specific doc

Hi - any ideas? I have just had a doc sent back to me saying it has a virus - I am running latest McAfee on Win XP and that seems to think it is ok. The doc is one based on OfficeReady templates, if anyone knows them, and they seem to have a lot of macros attached. Could this fool a checker into thinking it is dodgy? Otherwise, is there any online facility to just run this one doc through a checker to see what it finds?
    Very important, this is a cv and could cost me a job!!!Any ideas appreciated as ever.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Virus check specific doc

How recently have you composed the CV? For nobody bothers writing Word viruses any more, because they are too easy to check for. Ten years ago, things were different.

Can you save the document in RTF format, which can't contain macros and thus is presumably virus-free?

John

PS Even better idea, why not use one of the PDF writers which act as a Word 'printer', so that the output is a PDF? There are several easily available on the net, such as PDF995, CutePDF Writer, PDF Creator, PrimoPDF, etc
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Thanks

> For nobody bothers writing Word viruses any more, because they are too easy to check for.

I'd amend this to say that probably no one bothers with macro viruses, but there have been a spate of Office "file format vulnerabilities" as people discovered ways to tweak the underlying OLE structure of Word documents to take over a system. It's possible that a virus scanner is interpreting something invisible as a possible exploit.

Copying and pasting (without the last paragraph) into a new document might help the document pass the test. If you are using any ActiveX content (e.g., controls from the Controls Toolbox), consider replacing those with something else.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thx both - this was originally an old doc continually updated so may have inherited all sorts along the way! Never thought of PDF option tho - useful for future mailings. Am trying the simple rtf first tho just to get on with it quick!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, sorry, the context indicated that I was referring specifically to Word macro viruses, but that should have been explicitly stated...!

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...