2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Summary Sheet (Excel 2003/SP2)

My current project requires that I create a summary sheet in an Excel workbook. The data for the summary is on two other sheets in the same workbook. The summary data is selective, only pulling items from the data sheets if a condition is met.

I

Thanks

Re: Summary Sheet (Excel 2003/SP2)

Why not combine them into 1 sheet and just add an extra column indicating "App" or "Tech" serv?

You can sort as desired and then filter to display only the info needed or even create a pivot table for the results.

Steve

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The data sheets have a lot more information on them that we don't want on the summary sheet. And the summary sheet is going to have additional features, like colored "bars" in a date-grid with rolling quarters showing start and end dates. But if combining the two data sheets makes it easier to pull the summary information, that might be a possibility. I'll need to check with the client and then play around with it.

Still looking for ideas. . .

--Karyl

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You can still have a separate "raw data" sheet and "summary sheet", but the data are *much* easier to handle if they're all on one sheet instead of on several sheets.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Okay, I have permission to put all the raw data on one sheet and just identify the group in another column. Now that we have that, what's the easiest way to get just selected rows and columns to carry over to the summary sheet?

--Karyl

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You could define a criteria range that specifies "A" as Priority, and column headers for the columns you want in the summary on the summary sheet.
    Then use Data | Filter | Advanced Filter to copy the filtered data to the summary sheet.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The summary data has to be dynamic, automatically updating whenever various Project Managers add, modify, or remove data. I can run code every time a user selects the summary sheet, but I was hoping there was a way to reference the data that would not require code.

--Karyl

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

There are extremely clever, extremely complicated formulas that can be used to filter and sort data, but it's rather artificial IMHO. Using code is more efficient and more elegant in this situation.