Thread: Win.cnf

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Win.cnf

We have a computer with Windows 98 which will not load Windows. We can boot to a DOS prompt. The error message is "Cannot find win.com. Unable to continue loading Windows". The Microsoft Knowledge Base says to find the file win.cnf on the Windows 98 installation disk and run it and this will replace the win.com file. However, this is a second-hand computer and we do not have the installation disk. We cannot find a copy of the win.cnf file on the Microsoft website nor on any other website that a search for win.cnf turns up. Any ideas? Thanks very much.

Lee Morgan

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Win.cnf

Sorry, my friend, but you are not licensed to use Windows. The os should not have been left on when it was sold to you. Format the hard drive and go and buy a legal copy, or you join the ranks of software pirates, which I'm sure you wouldn't want to do inadvertently.

Lounger
    Thanks

MerC, Just because the PC is a hand me down or the fact that they don't have a CD doesn't mean the OS is pirated. Obviously, when the PC was originally sold it had Windows on it. If the person he got the computer from isn't using the OS on another PC it can be left on the PC. Also, some PCs were sold without a Windows CD, with the software in a CABS folder on the HDD. Or possibly the previous owner just forgot to give the CD with the PC.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Tom,

Reading the End User License Agreement carefully, (how many of us do?) you may find that Microsoft would not agree with some of your contentions.
    Here are a few of the relevant points (Win 2k; their caps, my numbering)

Lounger
    Thanks

MerC,
    I agree wholeheartedly with what you're saying. I have done some study on EULAs and was probably as ticked as anyone when MS switched from one copy at work/one copy at home with Office 95 (per license, of course) to one copy at work/one copy on a portable with Office 97. We never did figure out what we were supposed to do with the copy of 95 on the home machines when we upgraded to 97 at the office. And with the difference in file formats, taking work home to the different version didn't work, so the company bought 2 licenses for the people who did work at home. Now, of course, MS is moving more towards one copy period. Oh well, like you said, we don't own it.
    I guess the point I was trying to make was we didn't know any of the details about the computer that started this discussion. I generally hand down my older PCs to someone else, making sure they get ALL the CDs, documentation, etc. that came with it. Some preinstalled software licenses state they cannot be transferred from the original PC. Obviously this wasn't the case in that situation. He really needs to contact the person he got the PC from and find out for himself where he stands.
    Tom

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

I'd go along with that.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I must disagree with your analysis of paragraph one. This states that the software must be originally sold with the hardware. The prevents a retailer from purchasing the discounted OEM version and selling it at retail version prices, pocketing the substantial difference. One the original sale is complete, paragraph one has been fulfilled.

Paragraph five states that if/when the hardware is sold and the software remains with the hardware, (you may chose to keep the software), you must transfer all ownership and usage of the software to the new owner. You can't keep it and sell it.

The legalese tends to distort common understanding of the english language. It's a shame, but a necessary evil brought upon us by those who would be less than honest, upstanding citizens.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

...but also it can quite easily be read as :
    if you are given the OEM disc, you are not entitled to use it if the hardware you are being sold is not new.

This, I admit, is silly , but law-courts are full of men grown fat by seizing on just such ambiguous phraseology. Your interpreation is a perfectly reasonable reading of what a reasonable user would see as Microsoft's intention. Unfortunately (unless you're a lawyer) it's not the only one.

Anyone got a EULA for a retail Win 2k or 98SE package?

ileacy

Hi Lee:

The technical solution to your original question is simple. Copy WIN.COM from any Windows 98 system and check it's size is exactly 24,791 bytes.

See <A target="_blank" HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q136/6/30.asp>KB Q136630</A> for details.