Thanks

My documents Titles

I would like to know how to rid .doc, .xls or .gif from all of the titles in my "My Document". Is there a way to do this Win98Se.
    Catz

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: My documents Titles

Huh? Exactly what is it that you're trying to do? From your post, it sounds as though you want to remove all of these files from the "My Documents" folder, but I'm not clear on your request.
    -Mark

Thanks

No I don't want to get rid of all the files in My Documents. all I would like to do is get rid of a portion of the title of the documents in My Documents. Such as a title as "Wolves.doc". I would like to get rid of the ".doc" without changing how the document would open. Some other files have ".xls" and ".gif". I have tried in the past to rid this tail end from the documents and wound up needing to use "open with" to open the same document. Hope this makes it clear.
    Catz

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

It does clear it up. What you're wanting to do is hide the file extensions so that you don't have to see them, which you can do by going to Folder - Options from Windows Explorer and choosing Hide extensions for known file types. I don't recommend this though, because it will make it easier for virii and malware to get into your system by masking their actual file type.

If you remove the file extension (always the last letters following the dot or period) then Windows has no way to know which program to use to open the document/file. Hiding the extension removes it only from your view, but as I said before it will also make it easier for nasties to get onto your system -- something that appears to you as "document.txt" could actually be "document.txt.vbs" which means it can be executed just as a program without your consent.
    -Mark

Thanks

Thanks Hans for your reply. That
    Catz

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I'll make sure I let Hans know. You're welcome.
    -Mark

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

As Mark (WyllyWylly) already indicated, it is *not* (I repeat, *not*) a good idea to hide extensions for known file types. E-mail viruses such as the Anna Kournikova virus were able to spread quickly because many users hide these extensions, and hence didn't see the true file type of the attachment. So I strongly recommend that you don't hide extensions for known file types.