Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Email setup (2002)

Hi,

I have a new account that is using an access database that was built years ago for them to do quotes. The quote is presently faxed out to upwards of 700 people at a time. They would like to be able to email these. I know we will have issues re spam etc. due to the number being emailed. I looking for input / advice as to how others have set this up.

Presently they use Outlook to do their email in. What would be the best way to set this up so that it is VERY user friendly.

Thanks,
    Leesha

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Email setup (2002)

Does your account have its own mail server, or will the mail be sent through a regular ISP?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans!

I honestly don't know. I'm meeting with them today for the first time. I've only spoken with them over the phone as they were given my name to help them out. Apparently the person that built the database hasn't been around to service it and they haven't needed modificiations till now. Is there anything else I should ask them before figuring out how to proceed with this?

Thanks!

Alicia

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I think the server/ISP question is the most important one. If they have their own mail server, sending out 700 e-mails shouldn't be a problem. If the mail goes through a 'standard' ISP, you'll probably run into problems if you send them all at once - the connection may get overloaded, or the ISP may block the mail thinking it is spam. You could talk to the ISP to see if they have provisions for sending mass e-mails. Otherwise, you'll have to send out the e-mails in batches of 50 or so, with sufficient time in between.

If you're going to use VBA code to send e-mails through Outlook, you're going to run into Outlook security - the user will get a security warning for each e-mail. See <post#=317048>post 317048</post#> for some ways to deal with this. The free utility ClickYes is the simplest to use.

Another point: check whether the database is in Access 2000 format. If it hasn't been updated for a long time it might still be in Access 97 format!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Excellent points, especially re whether it's 97 or 2000! If they are still in 97, is this even possible or would I need to advise them to upgrade?

Since there are issues with Outlook (I'll read the reference you gave me later tonight when I can absorb it better), is it possible to do it another way with Access that you would recommend?

Another whole new learning experience!

Thanks,
    Leesha

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If the database is in Access 97 format, and the users have Access 97 too, you'll have to stay with that format. You cannot edit an Access 97 database in Access 2000 or later, but you can convert it to Access 2000 format, edit it (taking care not to use features that were not available in Access 97), then convert it back. It's best to do the final testing and tweaking on a PC with Access 97, though.

If the users have Access 2000 or later, or if they are ready to upgrade, that would be far better - you could convert the database to Access 2000 format and not have to convert back.

Of course, if the database is already in Access 2000 (or even 2002) format, you'll be spared all this trouble.

There are alternatives to using Outlook, but I know very little about that. Perhaps someone else will come up with suggestions.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi!

Here is what I got for info. The database is in 97 version. I still have 97 on one of my PC's so I won't have to convert it provided I can get past the user permissions on my machince at home. They use and ISP vs having their own mail server.

Presently this user generates anywhere from 100-400 requests for quotes per day and he faxes them out at the end of the day using winfax. He would like to be able to email instead. They enter the names of the recipients for the quote into a table that is either sent to winfax or winfax picks up through a DLL. The guy wasn't sure which. Each quote / report looks exactly the same when faxed, the only difference is that the name of the company that it is being sent to is different. Originally I thought all quotes were identical and I thought I'd be able send in a bulk email. That is not the case and is therefore my first glitch. I don't know much about how winfax works, so I'm not clear as to how the report is generated in Access and winfax knows how to find it to send. The fax table form only shows the recipient name and fax number.

My second and bigger glitch is that this is the first time I've used Access to email and I'm getting more requests to do that. Unfortunately there does not appear to be an easy way to send the report as an attachment like in Word or Excel. The ultimate goal is for the user to be able to email all 100-400 emails (which would be sent out one at a time, not as a blast email) at the end of the day by clicking a control to send the email. They would prefer not to have to do individually throughout the day or to have to switch back and forth between Access and Outlook.

From what the user remembers re the present set up, when the quote is generated, the name and fax info is sent to a temporary table for faxing later in the day. When the fax is sent, a check is placed in a control in the quote table indicating that the fax was sent. He'd like a similar set up with email AND would like the ability to choose whether to fax or email, for situations where someone doesn't have email or the email address is bad.

I'm in over my head with this one and don't even know if its possible so I decided to start with advice here as to whether its feasible, and then to beg for help. Honestly, it seems to be a growing need and my gut is its worth trying to get to run.

Thanks!
    Leesha

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

This is a broad subject!

There are several ways you can send e-mails from Access. For example:

1) Using DoCmd.SendObject. This will attach the report to an e-mail in one of the available formats:
    - Plain text
    - RTF (compatible with MS Word)
    - Excel workbook
    - HTML file
    - Snapshot file (recipient needs the free snapshot viewer to open or print the report)

2) Export the report to a file on disk in one of the above formats, or in PDF format, then use Automation to control Outlook from Access in code.
    Access 2003 and before don't have built-in support for PDF files, but your client may well have Adobe Acrobat or a similar application. There is also a free add-in to convert reports to PDF from Stephen Lebans: ReportToPDF.

If you do a search in this forum for Outlook.Application, you'll find several examples of automating Outlook from Access. See WendellB

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hans thank you so much for the various options and links to help me. I can now "see" in my head where to begin. I'm sure to be back as I stumble along in this new area but I now have a starting point and don't quite so at a loss!

Thanks,
    Leesha

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

OK, I am struggling along with this one and when I say struggling I mean struggling. I've managed to get Outlook to open using the docmd.sendobject and can print the snapshot file. If I decide to use a pdf instead that is workable since they already have pdf drivers on their computer. The piece that is giving me convulsions is trying to automate outlook to pick up the email address this is active on the form that the report is being printed from. At this point I'm not even thinking of trying to get Outlook to pick up the report (I'll save that one till I get the email address down pat). I've read the automation tips on Wendell's page and read and tried (that was really funny) the code he linked to on the Microsoft page but had absolutely no luck.

In reading the Microsoft code it does seem possible to add the recipient's name but I wasn't sure if I was reading this correctly and / or if it was even possible to add the email address from the Access database. I've been at this for 3 days and finally am conceeding defeat.

Leesha

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Are you coding this in Access?

I have done email via outlook many times before, sometines with Hans help in the past.

Are you generating pdfs then trying to send that?

i have found that i need to slow the process after generating pdfs prior to sending them in email.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Pat!

Yes I'm coding it in Access. The user has all of their email addresses saved in Access vs the contact section of Outlook. They "want" to be able to click a button in Access which will send the email to Outlook. The address Outlook would be using is the one that would be in a control on the form that the control button to "send" is on. At this point I can get a snapshot file to attach using the method Hans gave me earlier. I can print to pdf (although this adds another step) if they decide to go that route. My issue that I need to get past is having Outlook use the Access email address. I've tried the following code that I found on the internet but I keep getting an error message from Outlook that the recipient is not found. I'm not sure if its because the code is wrong or the fact that my Outlook is for intranet (within out office only) not internet.

DoCmd.SendObject _
    , _
    , _
    , _
    "To[cmdemail]", _
    , _
    , _
    "Subject", _
    "Message", _
    False

The original code that I copied is

DoCmd.SendObject _
    , _
    , _
    , _
    "ToJohn@doe.com", _
    , _
    , _
    "Subject", _
    "Message", _
    False

I was hoping if I put the control name in it would work.

Any ideas?

Leesha

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Those commands you mention there are behind the form in Access, right?

Wy don't you change the command to:

DoCmd.SendObject _
    , _
    , _
    , _
    Me!textEmailAddress, _
    , _
    , _
    "Subject", _
    "Message", _
    False

Notice that i used the controlname in the command. Change the name to your controlname. It is not enclosed in quotes.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi!

That worked beautifully, and yes the code is behind a control on the Access Form. I didn't get an error message when I put in an email that is in our intranet address book, however I did get one when I put in a name that wasn't there. I'm "assuming" its because its intranet email with user profiles etc. vs internet email??????

Thanks!
    Leesha

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Glad it worked.

Don't know about the Intranet vs Internet question, sorry.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast