Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

External hard disk case

I would like to buy an external hard disk enclosure/case into which I could insert any of the disk types currently available at work, namely PATA, SATA or SATA-II, and be able to connect the resultant external disk via a USB2 interface to any computer. This would normally be for occasional debugging/data recovery/reformatting purposes, and performance is pretty irrelevant.

But faced with an enormous range of possibilities like these here, I'm not sure what I should be looking for.

Pretty obviously the external disk enclosure must have its own power supply, and there would have to be a disk controller card inside which copes with the required range of disks, and has the correct power and data connectors, but is there anything else that I should be checking on?

This can't be an unusual requirement, and it's probably just unusual that I've never really had to do it before last week, when I had to attach a PATA disk into an ancient PC which fortunately had a spare power connector and socket on the flat ribbon cable...

Thanks!

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: External hard disk case

I just started playing with these. I have two for IDE drives and one for SATA. The one I have for IDE drives is basically an empty box, with a standard looking connectors inside, and a power brick and USB connector outside. There is also some strange pin connectors that connect to the outside dip switches. I am assuming that this is so you can switch Master/Salve/Cable Select modes without opening up the case.

One I have tried for SATA drives doesn't work properly. I just get a "usb device unrecognized."

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Have you taken a look at <!profile=Pilgrim>Pilgrim<!/profile>'s adventure in these two threads? ( <post:=611,127>post 611,127</post:> and <post:=619,249>post 619,249</post:> ) He mentions this one: Thermaltake A2395 Silver River DUO Enclosure

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I don't think that manufacturer made it across the pond, I'm afraid, Al!

I will have to explore further, but having looked through the complete list of possibilities in my link, I found just two that seems to support PATA and SATA, but that was as far as they went. The difficulty is the lack of detailed information...

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>I don't think that manufacturer made it across the pond, I'm afraid, Al!<hr>
    Try here
    Ed
    "Somebody left the cork out of my lunch." - W. C. Fields