2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Access 97 (Access 97)

Ineed to compare two tablesin the same database to find identical last names. I did it once before and can not figure it out now. I think it has something to do with relationships. I am NOT an advanced Access user and do not use VBA so I need step by step instructions. Thanks for helping. Libbie
    LibbieL

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access 97 (Access 97)

Create a query and add both tables into the upper pane. Click on the LastName field in one table and drag it to the LastName field in the second table. Place the LastName field (from either table) in the lower pane grid and add any other fields you want to additionally see. When you run the query, the records for which the LastName field matches in both tables will be displayed.

This just shows the matches. If you want to do more with these records, post back with more detail on what you need to accomplish

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It should be pointed out, though, that you should never *have* names in two different tables in the database. I hope that you're trying to clean this up, identify the unique names, and get them all into a single table.
    Charlotte

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you! It worked perfectly. Can I join more than one field in the future?

Libbie
    LibbieL

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Charlotte, I keep the membership database for a volunteer organization. The main table is the members, but at different events, like a dune hike, people sign up for more info. I keep that in a table called sign ups. We send them a membership form and our newsletter, but if there is no response after a length of time, I delete them. Makes it easier for me to keep them separate since the main table has many fields. As you can tell, I am not real advanced in this. Can do queries, develop reports by changing one of the templates and a few other things. Thanks for your input.
    LibbieL

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, you can and then you will see the resultant records where the all the joined fields are equal, but I would really encourage you to think again about Charolette's input. Even given your explanation, having two tables with this data is not recommended.

Lounger
    Thanks

It would be a simple matter to have two fields, one called Member and one called Trial_Date. The "Member" field would be a yes/no, the other would be the date the person was interested in finding out about/getting the mailing. When a person trying the Trial Membership out became a full fledged member then you click the "Member" field. For your mailing report you would query where "Member" = 0 AND "Trial_Date" > date() - 30 OR where "Member" = -1

This way you have combined the two tables and keep your mailing list on one table. You could even run a delete query every quarter that deletes all records where member = 0 and trial_date < Date() - 30.