3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

error trapping (2003)

The following code collects data from project reports and under normal circumstances runs correctly.

Sometimes project managers put text into cells where integers are required. Therefore I have included the error handling routine to record such instances. However the error handler does not properly trap error type 13 miss-match at which the code stops running

Can somebody please advise on how to improve the error trap

Thanks

Alex

Private Sub CollectProjectData(FileAddress As String)
    Dim i As Integer
    Dim j As Integer

Dim k As Integer

Dim FileShortName As String

Workbooks.Open FileAddress
    FileShortName = ActiveWorkbook.Name
    ProjectData.BusinessAnalyst = Workbooks(FileShortName).Worksheets("resource Forecast").Cells(4, 2).Value
    ProjectData.Director = Workbooks(FileShortName).Worksheets("resource Forecast").Cells(3, 2).Value
    ProjectData.Engagementcode = Workbooks(FileShortName).Worksheets("resource Forecast").Cells(5, 2).Value
    ProjectData.Manager = Workbooks(FileShortName).Worksheets("resource Forecast").Cells(2, 2).Value
    ProjectData.ProjectName = Workbooks(FileShortName).Worksheets("resource Forecast").Cells(1, 2).Value

k = 1
    For i = 8 To 39
    For j = 2 To 13
    If Workbooks(FileShortName).Worksheets("resource Forecast").Cells(i, j).Value <> 0 Then
    On Error GoTo ErrorHandler
    ProjectData.Month(k) = Workbooks(FileShortName).Worksheets("resource Forecast").Cells(7, j).Value
    ProjectData.StaffType(k) = Workbooks(FileShortName).Worksheets("resource Forecast").Cells(i, 1).Value
    ProjectData.Days(k) = Workbooks(FileShortName).Worksheets("resource Forecast").Cells(i, j).Value
    k = k + 1
    On Error GoTo 0
    End If
    Next j
    Next i
    Workbooks(FileShortName).Close savechanges:=False
    Exit Sub

ErrorHandler:
    ErrorString = ErrorString & vbCr & "Error on " & vbTab & FileShortName & " Row " & i & vbTab & " Col " & j
    Resume Next
    End Sub

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: error trapping (2003)

I haven't looked at the code yet, but why don't you use Data | Validation to allow only integer values in the appropriate cells?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans

Unfortunately the input data file is not under my full control and some rogue/old versions keep on finding their way back into the environment

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

On which line (or lines) do you have problems with error 13?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The error occurs on the last line of the following group of 3.

ProjectData.Month(k) = Workbooks(FileShortName).Worksheets("resource Forecast").Cells(7, j).Value
    ProjectData.StaffType(k) = Workbooks(FileShortName).Worksheets("resource Forecast").Cells(i, 1).Value
    ProjectData.Days(k) = Workbooks(FileShortName).Worksheets("resource Forecast").Cells(i, j).Value

I have now updated the code as follows which traps most of the errors. However I will be grateful for your advice as to whether there is a better way to exclude the faulty data entirely

If IsNumeric(Workbooks(FileShortName).Worksheets("res ource Forecast").Cells(i, j).Value) Then
    Else
    ProjectData.Days(k) = 0
    ErrorString = ErrorString & vbCr & "Error on " & vbTab & FileShortName & " Row " & i & vbTab & " Col " & j
    End If

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You could use

ProjectData.Days(k) = Val(Workbooks(FileShortName).Worksheets("resource Forecast").Cells(i, j).Value)

Val returns 0 if its argument is not numeric. However, you'd still need the If IsNumeric test if you want to log errors.