Thread: desktop

New Lounger
    Thanks

desktop

If I have a desktop computer and a high speed Internet connection and I want to buy a notebook computer to share the connection do I need a wireless PCI adapter for my desktop? Or do I just need a wireless router, plug that directly in to my desktop?
    Thanks,

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: desktop

May I assume what you described is a DSL or cable modem connected to the internet and your current desktop computer connected to the modem? In this case, yes you can buy a router, wired or wireless to allow two or more computers to access the internet. You should not need to add to or replace any adapters if you go wired. In simple terms, you connect the modem to the "WAN" port on a router and each computer to a "LAN" port on the router to share the internet connection. If you then want the two computers to be able to "see and share" with one another, you should take a look at our StarPost here: <post:=589,883>post 589,883</post:>

New Lounger
    Thanks

I don't have any modem. There's a microwave tower down the road; that's my high-speed connection. I don't know the correct term. I have an antennae on my roof. So, if I have a wireless router, I don't need anything else for my desktop computer? THANKS

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Do you perchance have Sunflower Wireless Broadband? If so, I wonder whether a call to them to see if they ALLOW more than one computer to access the internet with their service. Some (many?) ISPs have restrictions or limitations inherent in their service. Come on back here if we need to talk some more about the mechanics involved.

New Lounger
    Thanks

No, it's not Sunflower; it's more of a Mom & Pop ISP. And they allow more than one computer to access their network.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, I don't know how or what to advise you then. It would be nice to have some more detail about how your computer connects to this "microwave tower down the road."

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Here is the Greater Seattle area one of providers is http://www.clearwire.com/
    However they do NOT cover all areas.

Most of this service is per machine, and you need to check with your provider on as how to add the second machine.

Can you provide a "Link" to your provider?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi,

My experience is that I have:
    Coax cable from satellite dish to Satellite modem inside the house. With just desktop machine, crossover cable from satellite modem straight to network card on desktop machine.

Added a laptop so needed a broadband router. In my case I went wireless.

So now:
    crossover cable goes from satellite modem to broadband router. Desktop connect via normal Cat 5 (blue) cable and laptop via the wireless network card in the laptop.

You do need some sort of network facility on each computer. Whether you go wireless on your desktop or use (I presume existing) network card makes no difference - except cables all over the floor.

Is that the information that you needed?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Are you sure that you have a "Cross over" cable as these are for "Computer-to-Computer" networking with NO router or hub?

Cat 5 cables come in all colors, the colors are for ID methods when tracking through a bundle of many others.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Dave,

Yes, I am sure. I had the discussion with the installer as well. The satellite modem that I have (Gilat SkyEdge) needs the crossover.

Johanna