New Lounger
    Thanks

Parallel processing (2003)

Does anyone know how multiple instances of Excel 2003 perform on a multicore system? We're running a simulation in Excel in a parallel processing configuration of 7 PCs. I've tested 4 instances of Excel on a single quad-processor system and found that they run in parallel just as if they were separate systems. I tried the same test on a PC with a Pentium D, which is supposed to have dual cores, but they didn't run in parallel. Does the same apply to Xeon or Core 2 Duo processors? Thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Parallel processing (2003)

As far as I know, Excel 2003 and earlier don't take advantage of multi-core processors. Excel 2007 has a new option called multi-threaded calculation (MTC). It works for built-in functions and for user-defined functions in XLLs, but not for user-defined functions in VBA.

See Excel 2007 multi-threaded calculation boosts performance.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Parallel processing (2003)

Thanks for the reply. Yes, a single instance of Excel 2003 won't take advantage of multiple processors in my experience. Since my original post, I've been able to test multiple instances of Excel 2003 running on a quad-core server running Windows Server 2003. The results of this admittedly simple test were the same as on the quad-processor server: the four instances of Excel ran in essentially the same time as a single instance.