3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

TOC page number font issues (Word 2003)

In a long document TOC (Table of Contents) I am experiencing a couple of problems.
    If in the document, I have a check box preceding a paragraph heading, the TOC will indent that heading because of the check box. Is there anyway
    of preventing this for happening?
    Also in the TOC the page numbers on the far right hand side after the "........." occasionally are a different font size. The page number will be going down the
    list ( 22, 23, 24) in one font size than the next number (25) will be a different size. This looks funny and distracts from the document. Why is this happening?
    Is there any way to correct it?

Hope someone can help.

Richard Spring
    Richard Spring

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: TOC page number font issues (Word 2003)

In the Table Of Contents tab of Insert | Reference | Index and Tables, you can click Customize to customize the TOC1, TOC2 etc. styles. Set the left indent for each of the styles to 0.

You can remove all extraneous character formatting by selecting the TOC (or any other part of the document for that matter) and pressing Ctrl+spacebar.
    Similarly, you can remove additional character formatting by pressing Ctrl+Q.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans, I Went to Index and Tables, but did not have a "Customize" option. (The Word version I am testing this on is XP - that might make a difference.)
    What I do have is an "Options" and "Modify" button. I tried the "Options", TOC level, Body Text Indent, entering "0". Got an error message "Number must be
    between 1 and 9".
    Tried the "Modify" which listed TOC 1 through TOC 9. TOC 1 was "Normal + Font: 14 pt, Automatic update", while TOC 2 showed "Normal + Font: 12 pt,
    Left Indent: 0.14", Automatic update." Could not seem to make this work either. TOC 3 - 9 were increasing left indent numbers.

I have attached a small sample of the TOC and document to help. Looks like I need further explaination.

Thanks,

Richard Spring
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Richard Spring

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, I meant "Modify" (I was incorrectly translating back from Dutch into English).

You can modify the TOC styles either by clicking the Modify button in the Table of Contents tab of Insert | Reference | Index and Tables, or from the Styles and Formatting task pane. You'll have to modify each of the TOC styles (or at the least, those used in your document). For each of them:
    - Clear the Automatically Update text box.
    - Select Format | Paragraph.
    - Set the Left indent to 0.
    - Click OK.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That makes a lot more sense.
    I will give it a try. Thank You again.
    Richard Spring