Thanks

Bad Memory Stick?

Is it "normal" for a memory stick to go bad? I know they sell them, so some "must" Go bad, but in some 20+ years of being on computers I've never had a problem... Till now.

My memory, 1 of 2 installed 1 gig sticks, failed a test with CheckIt... And this at the same time that one of the hard drives failed the boot-up test procedure...

So I'm not positive here...

I replaced the memory with some I had from before the last upgrade (about 9 months ago), and installed 2 new hard drives, and now seem to have no problems...

Is there some way a computer store can test them to see if they "are" faulty?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Bad Memory Stick?

Yes, memory cards have been known to fail. The primary suspects if the unit has been functioning well for some time are voltage transients, a system problem, and ESD (electrostatic discharge), an operator problem. A computer store is unlikely to have a piece of test equipment that verifies operation, though such equipment does exist. What they might be able able to do is try out your memory card(s) in a computer they have that accepts the same type memory. This would be the best and most practical approach.

Paul

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I assume you are referring to USB Flash Drives, and not the Sony
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Thanks

Chuck,
    Like ANY piece of electronics, memory sticks can and DO fail. ( I made a neat Christmas ornament from one that failed on me a few years ago )
    You seem to have had your share of hardware failures besides memory sticks, so there you go?

So far as testing the sticks, there are many memory test programs around but as mentioned in other posts, I doubt there would be a computer store that would have the necessary test equipment to do so. It just would not be cost justifiable for them to purchase one.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Thanks

Paul/John/Bob:

It's a stick on my PC main memory. Both sticks (2) get past the inital test, but it seems that one fails CheckIt when run by itself.

If my memory is in 1-gig stcks, can I run just opne by itself long-term, or need they fill both slots in some denomination? 'Cause if I can run just the one, I'd have 1 gig of memory instead of 640megs.

I d/l the microsoft test and docs, so I'll try those as well...

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Thanks

Chuck,
    Most newer MBs these days will allow only a single stick instead of pairs. The quickest test is just boot it up with the one stick. If you see it recognized as a 1 gig stick, you are in business.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Thanks

Fabulous.

Thanks Bob.

Regards,
    Chuck Billow