New Lounger
    Thanks

Getting Computer out of Sleep Mode (Vista Home Premium)

This is a total noob question, but one that has me scratching my head. I just bought a Velocity computer that came loaded with Vista. Everything is great so far except for a few little issue.s One, when I put the computer into sleep mode, I can't seem to wake it back up. Normally, you can just hit your space bar and it will come back to life. I have to do a cold shutdown to get it to reboot. Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong here? I have turned the feature off that shuts your computer down after so many hours of inactivity, but would like to know to wake it out of the sleep mode so I can use this feature. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Getting Computer out of Sleep Mode (Vista Home

On XP, moving the mouse seems to get our PCs out of standby, and stabbing the system unit's power button seems to bring it out of hibernation.

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Getting Computer out of Sleep Mode (Vista Home Premium)

On the wife's new Sony, all one needs to do is "hit" the Power button.
    Yes, it appears to do a restart, because in fact it does a some what restart.

What are the settings in the "Power area" of the "Control Panel, Hardware and Sound, Power Options,System Settings" for the power button?

You get to the last area by clicking "Choose what the power buttons do?" in the right column of the "Power Options" screen.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Getting Computer out of Sleep Mode (Vista Home Premium)

Thanks guys. I did try hitting the power button and it turned the system completely off. I've gone in to the Turn off the Display to "never" and Put the Computer to Sleep to "never" and see how that does. I guess I'll just have to do a complete log off and shut down until I find out what adjustments to make. I would like for the computer to go to sleep after a couple of hours and the display to turn off after a couple as well, but can't wake it back up using those settings. I have the Power button action set of Shut Down because if the computer does lock up I can at least shut it down this way. Should I change that to "Sleep?" Then when I hit the power button, will it wake it up? (I know just enough about computers to be dangerous).