Thanks

Converting HTML to a pure Word document (2000)

I thought it would be easy: use Word to convert a set of linked HTML pages to a printable Word document. Load each HTML file, copy each to the end of a the Word document, set some styles, adjust a bit of tricky formatting and print. Little did I know!

I'm seeing a wide range of problems, any of which I could really use some help with (Word's help system being absolutely no use at all, even for the seemingly elementary question 1):

1. What does a paragraph Space Before/After setting of Auto mean? Where is it controlled from?
    2. Why are my margin and tab marks on the Ruler suddenly moving in Inch-fraction increments (instead of quarter-centimetres)? Why has the default tab spacing reset to 1.27cm? Everything in my installation is set to metric, so what's going on and how do I fix it?
    3. How do I convert hyperlinks to their displayed text element in bulk? (ie: all hyperlinks in the document)
    4. Why are some of my numbered lists deciding some items are just normal paragraphs?
    5. Why can't I search for the "Strong" character style and replace it with the "Default Character Style" plus Bold? (The Bold seems to disappear.)
    6. Why, when I click repeatedly in the scrollbar, does it suddenly take off as if I were holding down my mouse button? How do I turn this behaviour off?
    7. Why are tables such a mess in Word 2000? (OK, that's a rhetorical question. But I use tables a lot, and the Word 2000 version is an unmitigated disaster!)
    8. I was using Word non-Maximised, taking up about half the screen. Now, when I start Word, it comes up full-screen, but with only the previously-used column actually in use (IOW, the whole right half of the screen is simply blank). I have to maximise then restore to get back to normal. What's going on?
    9. How do I get rid of any other vestiges of the document once being HTML?

I don't care what anyone else says, in my experience, Word 97 was easily the most stable and usable version of Word. Word 2000 has been a backwards step in nearly every respect, and the automatic features of Word XP suggest it'll be even worse. Just wonderful.

In the meantime, I could really use some help,

Paulius

Thanks

Re: Converting HTML to a pure Word document (2000)

System overload . . . too many questions for one post.

Let's start out simply...

Load each HTML file - - - do you mean that you are opening the file using your browser? Opening each in Word? Something else?

Copy each to the end of the Word document? How, exactly?

Question 7.
    Tables are not a mess in Word 2000, although they are different from tables in Word 97. Sorry. They are intended to (and do) mimic the tables in HTML. If you don't want nested tables, don't build nested tables. It really is that simple.

Please, break your rant up into separate posts for meaningful answers. Otherwise, the threads will become hopelessly scrambled and people who know answers will give up before they even read the question. Give a meaningful subject line to each post. Take thinks in order of importance to you getting your job done.

If you want to complain, write to Microsoft. If you want help, ask. But ask nice because the only people here are your fellow users.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Thanks

Sorry. I guess I got frustrated (I thought I was being nice -- mostly).

I kind of hoped that all the HTML-related stuff could be handled together, but I guess not. I'll repost separately tonight, but perhaps this thread can continue with the HTML-conversion stuff?

In the meantime, what I actually did was:
    1. Open first HTML file in Word (I figured I'd use Word to convert for me).
    2. Set up some default styles (though, apart from Normal, they were mostly ignored).
    3. Open next HTML file in Word.
    4. Copy the bit I want (not the navigation headers) to the clipboard.
    5. Paste at the end of the first file.
    6. Close the second file and continue with the next HTML file.

In retrospect, I probably should have started with a blank DOC file and pasted the first HTML file in, just like in steps 3-5. I guess I could still try that.

Is this a good way of doing things? Does it give rise to the problems I experienced, or does it avoid others?

Thanks for your patience,

Paulius

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Paulius,

Sorry I don't know enough about Word/HTML issues to help with the considerable hassles you're up against (and yes you were being fairly nice!).

Just wanted to suggest an easier way to get multiple files into the Word document - rather than opening them and copying/pasting contents, just use Insert>File (from the document into which you want to insert the other files).
    This probably won't have any effect on the HTML problems; it'll just make it a little easier to get all the files into one.

Gary

Thanks

Thanks, Gary, for the tip.

Yes, it does seem to work (IOW, you can insert an HTML file into a Word document successfully). And it is a bit quicker than cut and paste, if only because you don't have to close down each file once you're done.

As for some of my other points:

2. If I copy my current file (or Insert it) into a blank document, I go back to quarter-cm increments on the ruler, but I have to also copy my Styles. I'm still wondering why I had the problem in the first place.

3. Converting hyperlinks to text is a simple matter of including them in a selection and hitting Shift-Ctrl-F9. This also works on the images, which are now hopefully stored in the document (the file size seems consistently expanded) and will transport properly.

8. Word seems to be starting up properly non-Maximised now. I guess a reboot was sufficient to fix the problem, but I'm guessing too that it might return after editing my 2MB document again.

I'll ask the other stuff again in separate posts.

In the meantime, I hope this can help someone else who's encountered similar problems.

Paulius

BAM

Since Paulius created separate posts in order to break the information down into smaller chunks, this thread has been locked so that the responses are kept together and are easier for all to follow.