3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Duplex Printing (Word - 2003)

Hi,

Ive got a number of word documents that will print (on both sides - duplex style) and staple together via a macro, however, the first document is three pages, the first being on letter headed paper which comes out of a different tray to all the other documents which are on plain.

My problem is that I cant seem to get the second page, of this first document onto the back of page one i.e. duplexing. It will print page one on side one, being the letter headed side. It will then leave side two blank , (which should be page two). Page two is then printed on page two and page three will be duplexed onto the back, being side four.

Im not sure if I should have posted this under the vb/vba category ??!

I hope the above does make sense and any help will be grately appreciated.

Cheers.
    Lee

Thanks

Re: Duplex Printing (Word - 2003)

Often it is easiest to get something working "interactively" first before trying to code it with VBA.

How are pages 1 and 2 separated from one another? Are they simply section1-page1 and section1-page2 or is there a section break? (Some kinds of section breaks might cause problems.)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi,

Yes the pages are simply section 1 - page 1 and Section 1- page 2, there are no breaks. I wonder if putting a break in will resolve the problem?

Unfortunately Im unable to test until mid afternoon as the printer in question is in use by others in the meantime.

Cheers.
    Lee

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Try inserting a next page section break at the end of page 2.
    You can then set the page setup including the tray selection for each section individually.
    You should specify the same tray for First page and for Other pages in section 1.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans,

Thanks for the tip. My problem now is that side three, which is printing on sheet 2 is being printed on headed paper. Sheet 2 should be plain.

Sides one and two are working fine now. That is they are being printed on the front and back of the headed paper.

At the bottom of side two, Ive a section break (next page) and I have set the page-setup to print this section from the tray that is plain paper, but as stated above, despite this page-setup setting, the next page, (side three) is printing on headed, but should be plain.

Any help is grately appreciated.

Cheers.
    Lee

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Have you made sure that you selected "This section" in the Apply to dropdown list when you set the paper tray options for each of the sections?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans,

Yes, I selected "This section" when setting the paper trays.

I think the problem is when all these documents are called together. I basically utilise an industrial programme language called Visualfiles. This allows me to call a number of different documents one after the other all at the same time.

I simply put the document code onto a blank word page, page break, then another document code etc....These individual documents are then called from a main database. The problem being that the code for the three page letter is put onto one page and it is that page's setup that I think is interfering with the page set up on the original three page letter.

It is a little difficult to explain, but I'll have a play around bearing in mind your comments and that of Jscher2000.

If anything else springs to mind then please let me know, in the meantime if I find a fix I'll make a post back.

Many thanks for your help.

Cheers.
    Lee