Thread: Resize

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Resize

I thoughtlessly passed on three separate Hardcopy screen shots in an email, which should have been nothing, each of which was between 1 and 2 MB in size and in HCP format. Can anyone tell me what format is most appropriate and how to convert the files?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Resize

Hi Peter

I am assuming you are talking hyrocad drawings? If there are no more than 216 colours in a CAD image then I would say a GIF would be perfectly OK. You could print it to PDF and send it as a document.

Can you confirn the package you are using?
    Jerry

Thanks

Can these files be pasted into MS Paint? A PNG is excellent for retaining color fidelity. It also compresses well with large areas of "flat" color, like Windows 2000 screen displays. As the appearance becomes more graphical and color gradations become more subtle, JPEG will give better compression, at the cost of some color shifts and artifacts.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

There are two different programs called Hardcopy, one US (from DeskSoft) and the other German (available in English), and I have the German-based program, which is long past its validity period for an update, but which works remarkably well. My printout of the manual fills a three-ring binder and my download file is over 18 MB in size, so it's a pretty complicated affair, which I admit I have seldom used until recently. It supports a lot of formats, which is where I was deficient.

The German program is now freeware with a $15 suggested for registration (I think it was more expensive when I bought it, but I may be mistaken) and the US-based program is $20. I think they are completely different programs, and if any users have had a chance to compare them a review might be in order. Come to think of it, I might put trial versions on different computers myself. Needless to say, everyone is scrambling for Vista-compatability.

I think I have discovered the trick to selecting formats, but it was embarrassing to unwittingly send such large attachments.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

I have a quick alert, and a question.

I shut down, left the house for a few hours, and partway to my destination remembered the reason my old copy of Hardcopy had not been on any of my computers and had only recently been re-installed on one of them.

The reason the version I had written about in the post hadn

Thanks

Sometimes the same file extension is executable in some contexts and functions as plain text in another. I've never seen .BAS used for anything but Visual Basic source code. So I do not think of such files as dangerous. However, on some systems, it's possible that .BAS files are loaded into an interpreter and "run" rather than merely display in a text editor like Notepad.

I have no idea how .BAS files are used in Hardcopy; seems odd that it would be distributed with source code files, so perhaps they are something else.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

The BAS files are all within a single folder within the Hardcopy folder. I installed the freeware edition (maximum installation) and it will save files in 106 different file types, including the PNG that you recommended. The two screen shots show the Basic folder within a portion of the program folder, and a portion of the BAS files in the Basic folder. (Sorry, it's just the second: I can't figure out how to send two attachments.) The one thing that was new when I went to use the latest version is that my firewall, which is in learning mode, went crazy asking permission to use all those files. The one worry I'm left with is that if I Google 'dangerous file types', BAS files are on all the lists. The home page for the program is

Webcopier
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

Well, without downloading, it's difficult to know for sure, but my guess is that they might hold scripts or sets of steps that the program uses to implement certain actions. In themselves they probably are not dangerous. However, if a tricky malware were to mangle one of them, it could cause the program to malfunction or misbehave. The odds of that don't seem very high, and your firewall probably will let you know if one of the .bas files is changed.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

The files range in size from 30 bytes to 4749 bytes, and all that I have viewed appear to fit your description of (BOR-ING) scripts, a sample of which is attached. It might have been better if I hadn't drawn attention to that other subject, but it does concern me. If you have a spare machine you might give it a try - it costs nothing to try and I find it impressive. (I keep it out of the startup group, though.)
    Attached Images Attached Images