Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Bypassing print server to get at printer's web svr

We have a D-Link DP-300U print server on our network, ethernet-connected. It has worked flawlessly for a couple of years, providing two parallel ports and a USB port, to which printers may be connected. In this instance, I am interested in the USB connection (although this is probably not relevant).

The print server is managed by connecting to its IP address using a browser, as in <font color=blue>http://192.168.0.10</font color=blue>, which enables you to set up information about the attached printers.

However, the print-server USB-connected HP printer can (potentially) also be 'managed' by HP Web JetAdmin, which connects to the embedded web server in the printer, giving me 'useful information', like how full the ink cartridges are.

Can anyone suggest a way whereby I can use Web JetAdmin to connect to the printer through the print server? Or can HP Web JetAdmin only be used if the printer itself is connected directly to the LAN via its ethernet interface?

Thanks

John

PS If any more technical details are required, I can provide them when at work!
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Bypassing print server to get at printer's web svr

According to HP Web Jetadmin software - specifications, you can manage only
    "All HP and non-HP printers connected through HP Jetdirect print servers, and standard MIB-compliant third party network connected printers."

That means, to use HP Web Jetadmin software, your printer has to be connected to the router either through HP JetDirect print server or through printer NIC card.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Bypassing print server to get at printer's web

Thanks - I thought as much...

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...