5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Problem with Comcast HSI

Friend of mine decided to get this service for her new laptop, and Friday the tech came out and installed a Scientific Atlanta cable modem. Went over this morning to see what would have to be done to permit wireless use of the laptop, ended up buying a Linksys WRT54G. Hookup didn't go well. First problem was that she already had a Arris telephony modem, and the tech just split the incoming line and added the Scientific Atlanta. No luck with it at all, so I tried plugging the Linksys into the Arris, and eventually got it working.

The LInksys is picking up an IP address just fine from the Arris modem, and the laptop is getting an address (DHCP) from the Linksys. Good strong wireless signal. But no matter whether I try an Ethernet connection to the router or a wireless one, the laptop will NOT connect to the Internet. Get a "server not found" error on every address. Couldn't find anything helpful at the Comcast site, and when I called tech support, got a recording that they were so backed up that I'd have to try again later.

Any suggestions as to what I'm missing?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Problem with Comcast HSI

Have you checked the ip address of the gateway on your laptop?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

>> Have you checked the ip address of the gateway on your laptop? <<

Yep, I used IPCONFIG to check the laptop, and everything looks good there. I'm wondering if there's something that needs to be done with DNS or the like (couldn't find anything on the Comcast site about this, unlike SBC, which has plenty of info on configuring a home network to work with a DSL line).

Thanks

[the tech just split the incoming line and added the Scientific Atlanta.]
    Are you saying that the cable guy didn't check to see if she was connected? Maybe I am missing something but why is the cable modem hooked to a telephony modem? I have Comcast and their modem is connected to their cable, then I connected it to my WRT45G Linksys router.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Comcast does provide "Phone service" also. That is why it may be wired that way.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

>> Are you saying that the cable guy didn't check to see if she was connected? Maybe I am missing something but why is the cable modem hooked to a telephony modem? <<

He put a splitter into the incoming cable, left the Arris telephony modem on one leg, and installed the Scientific Atlanta modem on the other. The user finally got through to Comcast service this week, they sent another tech out and he removed the SA modem (after standing and looking at what the first guy had done, with a stunned look on his face). I'm going to go back over next week and try again to get the router working. Did you have to clone your PC's MAC address to get the Linksys to work?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

>> Comcast does provide "Phone service" also. That is why it may be wired that way. <<

This particular Arris telephone modem can apparently handle her Internet service, too, as another tech came out and removed the SA modem. I just need to figure out why DNS info isn't getting back and forth properly.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

>> Did you have to clone your PC's MAC address to get the Linksys to work? <<

Finally had a chance to get back over to my friend's house and work on this last night. Solution ended up being to clone the MAC address of the wireless NIC in the Linksys. With the wireless disabled and using an Ethernet cable, cloning the MAC address of the Ethernet NIC wouldn't work [img]/forums/images/smilies/sad.gif[/img] I have no clue WHY this happened, but it's working, at least.