Star Lounger
    Thanks

Replacing a HDD in Win XP (Win XP Home SR-1)

I am trying to replace a 40GB HDD in my notebook with a bigger one. I created an image on DVDs using Drive Image 7 and used the restore function to copy the contents of the old c: drive to the new disk.

Now, when I try to start the computer, Windows gets to the screen where it asks whether I want to start in protected mode or the last known good configuration and will not go any further. About the only odd thing that i have noted is that the C: partion says it is now full where it should have about 20GB of free space.

This is a fairly highly optioned and customised installation of Office, AutoCAD and several other applications and I do not want to have to carry out a complete new install. I have installed the OS without any applications and that works. I just can't get the restored image to run.

Does anybody have any suggestions.

Thanks in advance, Geoff

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Replacing a HDD in Win XP (Win XP Home SR-1)

Hello,
    If you make too many hardware changes then windows will display that same boot loop where it keeps asking you to choose the last known good or safe mode.
    One way that works to get out of this this cycle is to let it know that you are really not stealing the files by using the XP CD
    Take an XP CD and toss it in. You then go into the setup routine as if you were installing the operating system
    You will be given the option of either repairing XP or installing it - pick INSTALL (don't worry, it will be all right)
    After a few more prompts you are given the option of repairing XP installing it (yes it does kind of repeat itself) - this time pick the option to REPAIR XP
    It will go through the motions of installing the OS files. It does not overwrite your data or program files.
    About twenty to forty minutes later your system will reboot and work as it should. Oh, and you will probably need to enter the Windows product key again.
    The bad news is that you must repatch as it only ends up as patched as what you had on the CD (at least that has been my experience).

It is a pain, but it works with a minimum of fuss (just fire it off and go get a tasty sandwich or something).

Best of luck and have a great day,
    Zabu