2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Scan Document (Office 2003 / XP)

I would like to scan a document into the PC as a <.pdf file> ~ and then change it to a text file. What is the software/hardware that I need to do that?

Thanks

Re: Scan Document (Office 2003 / XP)

Do you already own a scanner? If not, you could check the capabilities of the software supplied with the unit. Some will scan directly to PDF and also perform OCR on the black and white dots to generate a text layer. If the software does not perform OCR, you can use a third party package. Perhaps the Software Finds and Wants board is the best place to search for past recommendations. I'm sure ScanSoft and Abbyy have received many mentions.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Most of the time, you will want to scan it and check things out using your word processor. As MOST OCR programs do NOT do a perfect job. There will be some spelling errors and general clean up.
    Then you could "print to" a PDF file using a third party driver, and then save to a "TEXT" file if wanted.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks

You can do this using Adobe Acrobat 7 or higher. Save the document as a .pdf fle for safe keeping then do a save as to save as a word doc. You will lose any images or logos that are on the page however and the format is out of whack with the .pdf file. If you want a cleaner document (you will still lose the logos and images) I would suggest save as a .txt file instead. If the .pdf document is a fillable form you will lose any signatures either way you save it.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi,

We run a Kyocera KM 4035 with the scanning unit. It gives us the opportuntiy to choose .pdf or .tif when we scan paper documents. The PaperPort software (version 8) allows you to export the .tif files straight into Office programs. There are always difficulties with layout if the original had tables and images, but it is better than nothing.

I tried using SolidPDF to convert from .pdf files that had been scanned into the Kyocera, but saw each page as an image and could not 'get at' the text. SolidPDF is good to extract text from .pdf if you have the original .pdf file but not if you have scanned the paper to create one.