New Lounger
    Thanks

Office 2000 Settings for All Users

My organization is preparing to deploy Office 2000 and Windows 2000 at the same time. We are using GHOST to create an image to deploy. We have added 2 options in the Help Menu of all the Office 2000 Applications under the Local Admin account on the machine we are creating the image from. The changes only take affect for that affect for that account. How do we configure the changes to the Help menu so that the change is made for All Users?

Scott A

Re: Office 2000 Settings for All Users

There's many different ways this could be accomplished, depending on your environment and needs.
    The easiest way might be to just copy the local admin's profile over the default profile. Then any new user that logs on will inherit from the default profile and should get the modified Office help settings.
    Another way to do it would be to use the Profile Wizard (which is part of the ORK Tools) and generate an OPS file. You can then import the OPS file into an MST file (via the CIW) and use this MST to install Office. When a new user launches an Office app for the first time, all the per-user registry settings get written, including the OPS settings.

Hopefully one of these options will work for you. If not, specify additional information about the environment and what your needs are. This will help narrow down a better solution.

HTH

New Lounger
    Thanks

Are these settings stored in the registry and if so where? I tried to search for them but was unable to locate them. I have not tried copying the whole local admin profile to the default profile - I will check in to that to see what the other impacts are.

Scott A

The majority of the Office settings are stored in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER hive. For Office 2000, it's stored in HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftOffice9.0. I re-read your original post and you said that you "have added 2 options in the Help Menu of all the Office 2000 Applications". When you start adding menu options, these can be stored in places other than the registry. For example, Excel keeps all custom toolbar changes in the Excel.xlb or <username>.xlb file (depending if profiles are used). So you might need to be looking at files and registry entries for all the settings.

HTH