Thanks

DRM, prevent document reading (Office 2003)

I have some powerpoint docs loaded on my employer's internal web site which are available for downloaded. In theory employees aren't suppose to give them to anyone outside the company, but that does happen (intentionally or not). Is there any sort of digital rights management that can be attached to the file (or other way, database?) which would restrict access to a list of names or something else?

This would be used for a PowerPoint that has Flash embedded and it's this Flash that we don't want in the wrong hands (competitors could use it for their own uses).

I see in PowerPoint in the File/Permission menu something about DRM with .NET Passport but it won't let me do anything even though I have a Passport account.

I did a low tech version of this with some Excel files where I wrote VBA code to test if the file was being run on a computer that wasn't imaged by my employer (using some registry entries I know exist). This works well enough, but not infallible of course. I guess I could write the same VBA in PowerPoint as a "good enough" protection.

Any other ideas?

Deb

Thanks

Re: DRM, prevent document reading (Office 2003)

To use the DRM features , I believe you had to buy the volume-licensed professional enterprise edition of Office 2003. But that's a hazy memory from the Office 2003 launch, and there might be other ways to get that feature.

I think you have to assume that strangers are likely to open the presentation with macros disabled. Not sure how that will affect your lockdown code.

Thanks

Re: DRM, prevent document reading (Office 2003)

Thanks for the reply. I figured it was a more than I could deal with for now. I'll tell the folks who asked that if they don't want to risk it getting distributed, remove it from the web site and just use the online version.

As to the code I used, I did consider macros disabled as possible (actually the norml) and I hide all sheets except an intro and a legal disclaimer until two things are validated; it is running it on a company computer, and they accept the legal disclosure. Since it is VBA, it's by no means secure but if it gets by the casual user that's enough. I'm sure half the Lounge members know enough about how to crack VBA and passwords (including code passwords) to break it.

Deb