3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unable to install WMP10

On my relatively new PC running XP Pro SP2 I upgraded to WMP 11, then found that it is incompatible with my MP3 player (Creative Jukebox Zen Xtra). Uninstalled WMP11 and the rollback was to WMP9, which I cannot use to rip CDs. Oddly, I am pretty certain I had WMP10 before the upgrade to WMP11!
    Downloaded WMP10 but have struck the problem described by many others, in that it cannot be installed: "This version of Windows Media Technologies is incompatible with this version of Windows."
    The solution in <!mskb=914223>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 914223<!/mskb> was of no use, as the relevant file was already in the suggested location.
    Does anyone know of a workaround to get WMP10 installed?
    Sincere thanks, as always
    Dianne

Edited by bigaldoc to make the article a live-click.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Unable to install WMP10

I've been Googling around and seen several mentions of this problem, all of which have the same suggestion as in the MS article. Since none of those references says anything about whether the file is already there, as you did, I wonder... Perhaps the file you're looking at in the System32 folder is corrupt or of the wrong version. Could you check for the copy in the ServicePackFilesi386 folder and copy it to System32 or at least compare the two files to see if they're the same "issue?" (By the way, on my machine which came with SP2 already installed, I have a C:i386 folder.)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Did you see the articles at the Creative Support - KnowledgeBase? This troubleshooting article: Support - KnowledgeBase implies that WMP 11 is OK.

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Al, I did copy over the file as suggested in the kb article, replacing the one in the system 32 folder-without success in a few attempts to install WMP10.
    Had one more try a day later, and WMP10 installed without a problem. Not an unusual story!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Joe, thank you- however quite a few folk have reported that a firmware update was needed for older models such as I have, and this turned out to be problematic for many, with complete loss of files on the MP3.
    Happy to have the player functioning again along with WMP10, and would have to answer to a less-than-pleased son if I wipe all his files.