New Lounger
    Thanks

Concurrent commenting on a document (Word 97)

I have a document on the LAN which I need to have numerous reviewers make comments on within a short timeframe.

Does anyone know how they can conduct their editing of the one document simultaneously?

I need them to edit the same instance of the document in order to create an audit trail of their comments.

Thank you in advance,

Glenn.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Concurrent commenting on a document (Word 97)

Glenn,

Each of your reviewers will need to ensure the following settings are set in Word:

Go to Tools > Options > User Information, and have them put their name and initials there, if they are not there already.

Then go to Tools > Track Changes > Highlight Changes > Options, and ensure that the "Color:" setting for Inserted Text, Deleted Text etc. are all set to "By Author".

This ensures that Word's built-in "collaborative editing" feature will kick in - Word will automatically assign a different color for each different reviewer. (I haven't used this feature, and anecdotally have heard reports of some pitfalls such as a document crashing, and when it was recovered, all of the different colors were gone. So if this is a really important document, perhaps making frequent backup copies of it would be warranted.)

Gary

Super Moderator
    Thanks

(Some further info that may be helpful if you're unfamiliar with Track Changes)

Word's track changes feature will not allow multiple authors to simultaneously edit the same document. Only one author will be able to get at the document at a time. I believe there are software packages available that permit true collaborative editing, but sorry I can't provide any leads on that.

To use the track changes collaborative editing feature:
    To tell Word to start marking edits, the reviewer needs to either double-click on the "TRK" that is in the status bar at the bottom of the Word window, or else go to Tools > Track Changes > Highlight Changes, and place a checkmark next to "Track Changes while editing". (Reverse steps to turn this feature off.)

Also note in the Highlight Changes dialog that there are places to place or remove a checkmark next to Highlight Changes on Screen and Highlight Changes in Printed Dcoument.

Gary

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Gary

Although we use change tracking fairly extensively I hadn't realised that Word allocates different colours to different contributors. I guess we can't all be editing the document concurrently as we need to though, which is a shame.

Thanks again and regards,

Glenn.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Workshare Technology offers a product named "Synergy" which will accomplish what you ask for here. See <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.workshare.net>http://www.workshare.net</A>