Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

When good mice go bad

I've been using a Logitech cordless optical mouse for a few years without trouble. About a week ago, this mouse started shutting off for no apparent reason. At first I thought "dead batteries," and I put in new ones. The mouse sprang back to life immediately, but shut off again after about 10-15 seconds. I poked the "connect" button and re-awakened the mouse, but it again shut down after a few seconds.

Can a mouse go bad like that? Or could it be something more sinister?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks

Re: When good mice go bad

Lucas,
    You might want to check in Device Manager to see if the mouse is recognized OK without any "yellow flags".
    Try to update the drivers or uninstall and then reinstall the mouse.

But to answer your last question: "can a mouse go bad like that", SURE it can. Like any another electronic device, they can fail at any time. Sometimes a complete outright failure, sometimes just start getting flaky or erratic.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Ain't that the truth! I had one of the first Logitech cordless mice and it eventually died by becomeing erratic on screen. I've often wondered what the real-world life of optical drives is, because they seem to fail after a few years too. For cordless devices, I think the "always on" state is a factor, because it keeps the electronics warm, and they eventually wear out as a result.
    -Mark

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I had the exact same symptoms as you last April. Although mine was cordless but not optical, I tried new batteries and it would die within a minute or two. I had been using it for a few years so I just bit the bullet and bought a new cordless/optical which is working just fine now for the past 10 months. BTW, the batteries in this one seem to last a month or two longer than the previous model (3 or 4 months as opposed to 2 or 3).