5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

IBM ThinkPad Gets Hot

I have an IBM ThinkPad T40. 90 percent of the time I use the laptop in a docking station. But I when I use the laptop with an AC adapter, the bottom of the laptop gradually gets hot. Not burning hot, but hotter than I think it should be.

Is this normal, or is something wrong? Thanks!

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: IBM ThinkPad Gets Hot

I don't have much experience with the ThinkPad and it's been awhile, but all the laptops I've ever worked with generated enough heat that it was somewhat "uncomfortable" to have one sitting on my lap. I never had one that had overheating problems but I always put something my lap as a shield. For sitting at a desk or table, the ones I used all had rubber feet that provided sufficient clearance so I never worried about it. Here's an article you might want to look at: The Heat Problem with Notebooks

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, Thinkpads can feel warm operating on your lap. There are no reports I am aware of that the T40 is any worse (or better) than others in its class.

There are a few things to consider. First, this unit has a heat emission specification of 72W, so think about sitting with a 75W light bulb on your lap for a while and you will realize that there are some clever things going on to manage heat in the laptop. Like a tower system, the laptop has a fan (or two) to help eliminate the heat and it and its ports must be free of dust an clutter (think dead bugs). If your laptop always felt this warm then chances are it is behaving normally. If it is a recent increase in temperature then you may have a problem. A new problem would probably be accompanied by a shorter time operating off the battery. Speaking of batteries, this could be battery problem. While the T40 was not part of the big battery recall, it was included in the recall if you ordered a replacement battery.

Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Al. You reply and the article were both very helpful, in that they indicated heat--as long as it's not overheating--is normal and common. Thanks!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I actually replaced the battery recently, and the heat doesn't become a problem when the laptop is running only on a battery. Nor does it is a problem when the laptop's in a docking station. Instead, the problem seems to be when it's connected to an AC adapter (which is the one that came with the computer, which is now, I think, about four years old).

>this unit has a heat emission specification of 72W, so think about sitting with a 75W light bulb on your lap for a while and you will realize that there are some clever things going on to manage heat in the laptop.

Interesting. Thanks!