New Lounger
    Thanks

web email link problem (IE 7.0 & Outlook 2003)

I have my laptop set up with two user accounts. The original one I had, and also a second one that I created because, when logged in under the original, Windows appeared to be acting a bit sluggish.

The Problem: Whenever I click on a web email link, the message "Unable to perform the specified operation because the default mail client is not properly installed" pops up, which is immediately followed by almost 100 cascaded IE windows flooding my screen.

I believe I've connected the problem with the fact that, in Windows Explorer's "Tools/Folder Options/File Types" section, the file type entry "URL:Mailto Protocol" (which usually has shows the related application's icon immediately before it), is MISSING when I'm logged in under the second user account, and PRESENT when logged in under the original user.

Since the occurrance of this error is tied to the SECOND account, where the URL:Mailto Protocol entry is missing, I believe there is some sort of a connection between that missing entry and the fact that clicking on a web link causes that error message to pop up. I'm not exactly sure what the connection is, however.
    When I tried to import a clean mailto:reg key into the registry, regedit barked at me saying that it is unable to import the key into the registry, because the registry cannot be accessed.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how to reset the mailto key in the Windows registry.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
    Steve

Thanks

Re: web email link problem (IE 7.0 & Outlook 2003)

One lazy way to fix these kinds of problems is to toggle the default mail client in IE's Internet Options dialog, Programs tab. It also can be accessed through Start > Settings > Control Panel, Internet Options.

If you change it to, say, Outlook Express, then OK the change, then change it back to Outlook and OK the change, various useful things often happen in the background. Does that update the File Types dialog in your case?

New Lounger
    Thanks

I tried that. No luck. The really wierd part about the whole thing is that, the ORIGINAL user account HAS the URL:Mailto protocol entry under file types, but the SECOND user account is MISSING it.
    I even tried importing a fresh copy of the Mailto key into the registry (via double-clicking a file called "mailto.reg", and the registry editor barked back at me saying there was an error, and that the registry could not be accessed). I tried un-installing and re-installing IE 7.0 (tried to reinstall it from the SECOND user account, and it crepped out, then I tried re-installing it from the ORIGINAL user account, and it installed fine. When I tried a URL:Mailto web link again from the second user account, it crepped out again.

(I've got TWO user accounts--I set up a second one because of a few problems I was experiencing with the orignal, including things like Microsoft Word taking FOREVER to populate the File/Open and File/Save As dialog boxes with the files that are currently in the default folder)

Could it be something related to the permissions?

Thank you,
    Steve Weber

Thanks

> Could it be something related to the permissions?

Yes, since you are needing to update the registry and if you don't have permission to do so, then you're in trouble...

New Lounger
    Thanks

Okay, so if the problem is related to the fact that the second user account does not have permission to modify the registry, my next question is: "Why?" Because I gave the second user account full administrative access, just as the original account has. Why is it any different?

I'm really trying to get this thing fixed. I appreciate any insight you can offer toward getting it resolved.

Thanks
    Steve

Super Moderator
    Thanks

When you are going from one account to another are using "Switch User" or are you logging out and then logging in as the second user?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I tried that. It doesn't work.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Additionally, I contacted an IT pro and asked him about the situation, and he told me that I needed to change the user account type for the second account to "local administrator". The only problem was that THERE IS NO LOCAL ADMINISTRATOR PRIVILEGE OPTION (I'm using XP Home Edition), just "computer administrator" and "limited user". I read somewhere on the web that local administrator privilileges can be accessed by logging in safe mode.

Do you have any ideas?
    (I can't tell you how frustrating it is to get those damn mailto links to work.)

Thanks,
    Steve