Thread: USB Problems

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

USB Problems

Hi,

OS = WinXp Pro SP2
    Having problems with my USB ports on my PC, whenever I plug a Memory Stick, Card Reader (CF, SD etc) into one of my USB ports, I receive a msg "this device can perform faster if I plug into a Hi Speed port etc" & for a list of ports click here. Am then shown a list of HS ports, which when used generate the "low speed" msg.
    I have installed a PCI USB2 card as well as the existing ports on the MB (Manual states USB2) & a high speed USB2 powered hub.
    Don't know where to go from here in solving this prob. Could I have somehow picked up a 1.1 driver? (See Screenshot)

Am at a loss as to how to fault find this prob, are there any USB experts that can assist?

Thanks

Neville
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: USB Problems

It appears that the BIOS of the system is only USB1.
    I have found that most of the older machines with USB1 will NOT run USB2 even when one tries to upgrade.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: USB Problems

You have USB2 ports in your computer (USB2 controller appears as "enhanced" controller) and they are located on your USB2 card (usually 2 or 4 of them). Do not use any other USB ports - they are USB 1.1 ports ("slow" ports). Connect your powered USB hub to your USB 2 card and conncet all devices to your hub.

Do not forget to connect power adapter to your USB hub!