Star Lounger
    Thanks

Blank email body (2002,2003)

I have a customer who is getting email messages with a blank body in OL2002 and 2003. The same message appears correctly in OL2000. He is connecting to an exchange mailbox, so all three versions of OL are reading the exact same message. Can anyone suggest something in OL2002 and 2003 that would cause the body to be blanked out? The text does not appear in auto-preview, reading pane, or opening the message. Select all does not highlight anything. View source (HTML) does not show the expected text anywhere.

The message is coming from a custom application that a previous employee wrote. It is sent directly to the exchange server, without going through outlook or any other mail client. It is not clear whether this application is including some sort of specialized customization or unusual characters.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!
    -Torry

Thanks

Re: Blank email body (2002,2003)

Is there any way to figure out the internal structure of the message as it exists on the server? For example is the "body" coded as an attachment? I'm thinking that perhaps some differences in the attachment blocking behavior of newer versions of Outlook might be blocking access to the "body."

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I had the customer forward me a copy of the email from both OL2000 and OL2003. It clearly had the body text in 2000, but not in 2003. OL2000 was formatted in plain text, OL2003 in HTML. Of course the internet headers were all from the forwarding, so I couldn't see much else.

So I had him send the message as an attachment from both systems. When I opened the attachments in my OL2003, they both appeared with a blank body with valid entries in to, from, and subject. Both were formatted in HTML. Neither had any internet headers whatsoever.

So I had him send them to a different account where I use OL2000. When I opened them there, they were also both blank. They were both formatted in HTML. The to, from, subject were ok. They did have internet header info, which differed slightly. Here is the header from the OL2003 version:

X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft Exchange V6.0.6375.0
    Received: from xxxx.com ([10.1.10.157]) by yyyy.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(5.0.2195.6713); Mon, 5 Feb 2007 09:38:42 -0500
    MIME-Version: 1.0
    Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
    boundary="----_=_NextPart_003_01C74933.54E80500"
    Content-Class: urn:content-classes:message
    Subject: PROD: Inbound E-Mail Error
    Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 09:38:42 -0500
    Message-ID: <zzzz@yyyy.com>
    X-MS-Has-Attach:
    X-MS-TNEF-Correlator:
    Thread-Topic: PROD: Inbound E-Mail Error
    Thread-Index: AcdJM1Vma+A294OiQAeCH5K4Z0jMpw==
    To: "Somebody" <Somebody@yyyy.com>

The OL2000 headers are the same except for the lines

Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
    boundary="----_=_NextPart_003_01C74933.54E80500"

Are replaced by

Content-Type: text/plain;
    charset="Windows-1252"
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

So I can see two interesting things going on here. 1) OL2000 is seeing the message in plain text, while OL2003 is seeing it in HTML. 2) The X-MS-Has-Attach would indicate that there is an attachment involved (is that correct?)

-Torry

Thanks

The HTML body of a message is considered an attachment under the applicable internet standards, so it could simply be that. But I can't think of any reason for Outlook 2000 to interpret the same message differently than Outlook 2003.

Does the custom application use an Outlook "form"? In my Outlook 2000 days, if I sent someone a message created from a form and did not edit the body, the body would show up blank. I switched to using templates (.OFT files) for this and other reasons.

If you save the attached version of the forwarded messages to .MSG and open it in Word pad or, better, and editor that understands Unicode, is any of the missing content actually in there? (I realize this can be difficult to determine due to all the other "stuff"...)