New Lounger
    Thanks

Faxing in Vista Premium (Vista Home Premium)

I saw tonight that with Vista Enterprise and Ultimate its possible to send and recieve Faxes from the computer. I've got on order a new Gateway FX530XV with Vista Home Premium preinstalled and it will have a 56K Data Fax Modem. Does anyone know if there is an update or accessory program that will allow such an activity from the Home Premium? I use DSL for internet connections but putting a phone line to the back of t he modem would be no problem. I'd much rather go this route than to buy a stand alone Fax. I could always upgrade to Ultimate, but that seems maybe a bit excessive, especially since I don't really need anything else that Ultimate offers. I would appreciate knowing of a good way to go here. where such an improvement might be found, the name of it, and maybe about how much it would cost. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me in this endeavor.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Faxing in Vista Premium (Vista Home Premium)

If FaxModem card was a part of original configuration of your Gateway computer, Vista Fax Service was installed automatically.

To send a fax:

- make sure that your modem is connected to the active phone line properly;
    - open a document you want to fax in its native application (Notepad, Word, Photoshop, Excel and so on);
    - press Ctrl and P keys on your keyboard simultaneously (or from File menu choose Print) - Print dialog will open;
    - from Printers list choose Fax;
    - click Print button and follow the wizard.

For more information:
    Set up your computer to send and receive faxes

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I haven't looked for a MS version comparison, but this ZD Net review says fax is NOT present in Home Premium: ZDNet Windows Vista Home Premium Review & Comparison

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I have found that the "internet Fax" types are working well. I have a couple of clients that have gone to this type of service. No extra phone line or machines.
    They are using myfax.com for a little as $10.00 a month. They even have "800" numbers available.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks

My understanding is the same as Al's - the native Vista fax capability is only included in Vista Business and Vista Ultimate.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

And I think this is the correct MS page. If you go down to "Easier business networking connectivity" which is applicable ONLY to the Business and Ultimate versions, click on Networking Center and finally the "Wi-Wi" link you'll eventually find Windows Fax and Scan. Sorry to be a party-pooper.

Windows Vista: Compare Editions

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hello to all of you who responded. I hope that "kaplinb" is the right answer, but if "bigaldoc" is right at least some of you have mentioned alternatives and I thank you all for your time. I should be getting the new equipment on the 21st so I guess I'll know something by that weekend. I might even get up the gumption to write Gateway and see what they have to say about it, if I just can't wait. Thanks again to you all.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to all of you who answered my earlier about the fax situation. Two things happened: Was discussing this with Gateway and they agreed about the Enterprise, Business, and Ultimate condition, so I asked about the cost to upgrade the installed Premium to Ultimate and since it was just $61 I decided to go ahead and get it. I then stumbled across the fact that its there in Word - at least the 2003 version,and I had already decided to get Office Basic 2007 just to have Word 2007, and it turns out that its there too. Since the Office Basic is available for Premium too, going that route would have taken care of the situation by it self. Oh Well, I guess it might be fun have the Ultimate. By the way, Spell Check for Windows Mail relies on the file from Word, and Office Basic is about the only I found to get Word. Word. word 2007 has a thoroughly different look - ought to be interesting.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Chuck,

Since you are contemplating getting Office 2007, you may find this Microsoft website helpful to acquaint yourself with the new "Ribbon" GUI: Use the Ribbon. There are other links on that page for Helps and Tutorials of other areas of Office 2007 you can view also.

ENJOY!

Jeff
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator