New Lounger
    Thanks

Right-Click Menu (?...SP2?)

I am VERY new to this posting business so bear with me! I used Technique #20 in Woody Leonhard's Windows XP Timesaving Techniques for Dummies. I wanted to be able to List Files and then print them. I did exactly as he instructed and it worked fine. Now though, and my problem is: when I double click on an icon, I bring up the "Search" page rather than having a page OPEN. I now have to right-click and choose OPEN. I think I robbed Peter to pay Paul in that this isn't a timesaving technique! Is there a way to organize the right-click menu such that OPEN is back at the top of the list and double clicking "Opens" a file? Thank you one and all for reading this, if it somehow appears!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Right-Click Menu (?...SP2?)

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

Your post is fine, and I hope you'll get a helpful reply soon, but I would like to make it clear that Woody's Lounge, although it is funded by Woody Leonhard, is not the support site for his publications and utilities. However, there may well be someone who has the book and who will have a suggestion for you.

Thanks

I suspect this MSKB article is what you want.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Welcome to the Lounge!

To fix your problem, you must edit your Windows Registry. Be very careful to do it!

Open Registry Editor: click Start | Run, then type REGEDIT and hit Enter.

To fix a problem with double-clicking Drive icon:
    - on the left pane, navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTDriveshell
    - then on the right pane double-click (Default) key and clear Value Data box; click OK

To fix a problem with double-clicking Folder icon:
    - on the left pane, navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTDirectoryshell
    - then on the right pane double-click (Default) key and clear Value Data box; click OK

Close Registry Editor. Changes are applied immediately.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Oh my goodness; it worked! I slowly and methodically typed in just what you wrote using just one finger so I wouldn't accidentally hit some other key! I thank you very much for your help. Clearly, this wasn't a big fix that had to be made but it was annoying me and I'm tickled that I can right-click/open once again!

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for finding this Microsoft article for me. I used it and a response from another person to confirm that this was the fix I needed. With trepidation I did it and now my right-click menu works as it always did. Many thanks.