New Lounger
    Thanks

Excel Pivot Tables Data Source (Excel 2000 SR1)-MULTI-Excel Pivot Tables D

I have an Excel pivot table that is based on a query from an Access 2000 db. The name of the source db has changed and understandable Excel cannot find the data source. I think I can probably change this programmatically but there must be an easier way to do this directly. What I want is to be able to change the data source from within Excel rather than having to write some code. Any ideas?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Excel Pivot Tables Data Source (Excel 2000 SR1)-MULTI-Excel Pivot Tabl

Select the Pivot Table, then engage the PT Wizard, the select Back until you reach the point where the wizard asks to select the data source. The current data source name should be available for editing, so that you can replace the old db name with the new.

Hope that helps.

Andrew C

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Excel Pivot Tables Data Source (Excel 2000 SR1)-MULTI-Excel Pivot Tabl

Andrew:
    I have tried that on many times and, when you go back as far as you can, the only choice you have is the GET DATA button which tries to run the query. If, instead of bringing the data into EXCEL as a PT, you bring the data in as a table and then convert it into a PT, you have access to the query Edit Icon which connects you to the query. However, this is not that helpful if your query has moved. To handle this, you need to chose run DATA/Get External Data/Run Database Query and then tell it where to find the query.