4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Extra pages when changing layout on an even page (Word 2003)

I have a document that has a portrait page on an odd page and a landscape page on an even page using section breaks. However, Word always puts an extra page between the two so that the landscape page that should be on an even page ends up on the next odd page. Instead of portrait on page 15 and landscape on 16 it has portrait on 15 and landscape on 17.

If I clear the check box for Different odd and even on in the Headers and footers section of the Layout tab on the Page Setup dialog box, then the problem goes away, but I need different odd and even footers.

I think there used to be a check box in older versions of Word to force a section to start on an odd page, but I don't see that now. If it was there, I think I could simply clear the check box and that would solve the problem, but that is only a guess.

Please help!!
    Thanks!
    Troy

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Extra pages when changing layout on an even page (Word 2003)

You can still create Even Page and Odd Page section breaks in Word 2003 - see Word 2003 In Pictures: Insert breaks.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That is a good point, and provided me with a work around for now. However, I am sending this to my internal client and may not see it again before it is delivered to an external client. If they add more content that adds another page, they will have to go in and change this to an odd page break. In addition, they may have to go in and reset page setup issues for the previous section (I had to do that when I inserted the even section break and removed the previously created next page section break).

In other words, it is a lot of work for people who may not have the same experience level with word. Is there any better way so that Word does not create this extra page in the first place? Is this just a bug for the Different odd and even pages check box?

Thanks again!!
    Troy

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Even and odd page section breaks have been the way to force text to be on an even or odd page in all versions of Word I have used, so I don't consider it to be a workaround.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I consider it a workaround because Word creates the extra page so that that landscape starts on the odd page when it should start on an even page. Creating a an even section break to force it onto an even page is the only way to eliminate this extra page created by Word.

What I would like to determine is why Word is creating this extra page in the first place, and if there is any way to eliminate it other than forcing it to an even page with the Even Page section break. It seems to be tied directly to using even and odd headers/footers. If you turn this option off, it does not create the extra pages.

Thanks!!
    Troy

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm sorry, I must be dense today. I simply don't understand why you would want to turn on "Different odd and even pages" if you have a section consisting of only one page. You only need one header and one footer for a one-page section.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, I don't know what I said that gave you the impression that it was a single page section. It is not.

In addition, the number of pages in the sections affected and the sections preceding this section are fluid. Thus, the page we are now forcing to be even could eventually need to be changed to odd. I'm trying to avoid having to make manual changes when the document changes.

Thanks again!!
    Troy

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I cannot reproduce the error. I have attached a sample document with dummy text. Does it behave as intended for you (landscape section should always start on even page, even if text is added to or removed from the portrait section)?
    Attached Files Attached Files

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Perhaps I haven't been very clear. The even page breaks work as expected.

What I would like is for the landscape page to appear on the odd or even page depending on how many pages are ahead of it.

For example, if pages 1-3 are portrait and pages and pages 4-6 are landscape, then the first landscape page should appear on page 4. If we add a portrait page so that the document now starts with pages 1-4 as portrait and and pages 5-7 as landscape, I want the first landscape page to appear on page 5.

As it is now, if I use a next page page break, the landscape pages start on an odd page no matter what. If I use an odd page break they start on an odd page no matter what. If I use an even page break, the landscape always starts on an even page. If I use a continuous page break, it messes up the page orientation in the first section, and when I fix it, the section break reverts to a Next page break behaving as I mentioned above.

Is there any way to get things to work as I mentioned in the 3rd paragraph above (starting with "For example").

Thanks!!
    Troy

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I hadn't guessed that, but when I change the even page section break to a new page section break, the document appears to behave the way you want. In the attached version, Word does not insert an extra blank page if I add text to or remove it from section 1.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I tried as much as I could to repeat the problem in the document you sent, but I could not.

I still am having problems with my document. I removed the actual text of my document and replaced it with "test" text and have attached the document. Perhaps having the actual document will help you see something I have missed.

Thanks for your help!!
    Troy

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

My guess is that your document has become corrupt. Whatever I do with it, I can't get the extra page to go away. But when I copied the text of each section (without the section break or the last paragraph mark of the document) into a new document, it was OK. I had to reconstruct the page setup and the footers. See the attached version.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I was beginning to suspect corruption. I was just hoping that you geniuses would find something else I was missing. Thanks for all the help!!

Regardless of the outcome, I learned a few things in this exchange, and I hope others will as well.

Thanks again!!
    Troy