Thread: RAM Oddity

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

RAM Oddity

I bought a new PC Sunday, running XP Media Center Edition. I'm planning on restoring a full backup of a previous PC, which I made on an external HDD using EMC Retrospect. The new PC was supposed to come with only 512 MB of RAM, and I knew from the previous PC that Retrospect really wanted 1 GB of RAM to work properly, so I bought an additional 512 MB stick and installed it before firing up the PC for the first time.

Here's the oddity: the BIOS shows the entire 1 GB of RAM. If I click on My Computer|Properties, Windows says I only have 768 MB. And the PC maker has a utility that says I only have about 500 MB of "Available Physical Memory." I ran Crucial's online memory scanner, and it sees both 512 MB sticks. Anyone got a clue what is going on here?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: RAM Oddity

What does Task Manager -> Performance tab -> Physical Memory (K) -> Total say?

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

My guess is that your video card is sharing 256MB of RAM, from the total 1GB (2x512MB = 1024 MB) in physical memory.
    Christopher Baldrey

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

>> What does Task Manager -> Performance tab -> Physical Memory (K) -> Total say? <<

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Then that would tend to confirm the response from Chris, above!

Maybe one of the "Hardware and Software Informers" like System Information for Windows(SIW), PC Wizard, or even Belarc Advisor may say whether system memory is being appropriated by the video card? (I can't tell you which, because it doesn't happen on my PC...)

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Belarc Advisor shows the following:

768 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'A0' has 512 MB
    Slot 'A1' is Empty
    Slot 'A2' has 512 MB
    Slot 'A3' is Empty

I don't ever remember Belarc showing this ambiguous a report before, and I've used it on dozens of PC's.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

What is your video card listed as? Is it a physically separate daughter board, or is it an on-board?

If it's on board, your BIOS will have an area dedicated to the amount of shared RAM the video processor will use, from the total of 1 GB you have installed.
    Christopher Baldrey

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

>> What is your video card listed as? Is it a physically separate daughter board, or is it an on-board? <<

Belarc says it's an NVIDIA GeForce 6100 nForce 405 [Display adapter]. It's on-board.