2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Text in cell cuts off (2003)

I created an access data base by linking to an excel workbook. It works but in a cell (in the workbook) where the text is long, it cuts off in the middle of the text in access.
    I am thinking it has something to do with the 255 character rule,
    Can I fix this?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Text in cell cuts off (2003)

According to MSKB article The data in a linked Excel spreadsheet column is truncated to 255 characters in an Access database, this behavior is by design. If you want to get around the 255 character limit, you'll have to import the Excel table into Access instead of linking it.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

OK-I imported the sheet. When I update the excel spreadsheet will I have to manually import it to access to see the updates?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, you will. If you wish, you can create a macro or VBA code that will import the latest version each time the database is opened.

Depending on what you want to do with the data and how you work with them, an alternative could be to use the Access table as the 'source' from now on and to create a link to the table in Excel. This can be set to update automatically when the workbook is opened (without using code). This would require you to do all further data entry and editing in Access.