2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook UI (2007)

After setting up the e-mail accounts in Outlook 2007 I am VERY dissatisfied with the UI. The Menu boxes at the top of each message are large and childish in appearance. I'm used to a more subtle streamlined look. Any idea how I can change that look?

Also, each time I pull up the addressbook, which I have set to use my Contacts as its source, I get a blank box which still requires me to select my "Contacts" for the list of addresses.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: Outlook UI (2007)

How about posting a couple of screenshots so we can see exactly what you are describing.

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Joe,

Thanks for responding to my post. Attached is the screenshot you requested. Hope it helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

That's the Office 2007 ribbon, which replaces the old concepts of menu bars and toolbars in most contexts. The ribbon can be customized in Outlook only by using a COM add-in. That might be much more trouble than it is worth. Perhaps, though, someone will do a generic "like Outlook 2003" add-in for those who prefer that appearance.

Some links for future reference:

Customizing the Ribbon in Outlook 2007 on MSDN

Customizing the Office (2007) Ribbon User Interface for Developers (Part 1 of 3) on MSDN
    Customizing the Office (2007) Ribbon User Interface for Developers (Part 2 of 3) (Controls & Methods Reference)
    Customizing the Office (2007) Ribbon User Interface for Developers (Part 3 of 3) (FAQ)

Thanks

> Also, each time I pull up the addressbook, which I have set to use my Contacts as its source, I get a blank box
    > which still requires me to select my "Contacts" for the list of addresses.

In the past, you could fix this from the Tools>Options... menu of the Address Book dialog. From the Inbox, press Ctrl+Shift+B to open the Address Book dialog. Choose Tools>Options... and check the settings there. You want Contacts selected in the first drop-down. Works for me (but I don't have any other sources set up at the moment).

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I fiddled with the Addressbook and subsequently found the box where I could (FINALLY) set up to use my Contacts as the addressbook source.

Now, after all that, I've also found that MS has messed with/changed the Categories feature in Contacts, or so it seems. The contacts are now categorized by color instead of, well, actual categories. So, if you have an answer, or fix, for that I'd be beholden to you. I checked the help file and could only find info about the color categories. It seems as though Mr. Gates let Barney the dinosaur in to his product development meetings because all these changes appear to be geared more to an elementary school setting rather than business or adult professional endeavors. I feel as though I'd be better off using this software to list my 1st grade classmates rather than law enforcement contacts. I guess I could change all the Officers in my Contacts to a blue category, the firefighters could be red............................................... end of rant.

Thanks again for your help.

-Steve-

Thanks

Steve,
    Click on the Categorize... button, then select All categories, then you can rename the categories to something meaningful and add new ones.
    HTH
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

See the attachment for directions on minimizing the ribbon in Word. There will be the same setting in all the Office apps that use the ribbon. You'll need to set each one.

Joe
    Joe