3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

large WAV files in transitions (2003)

I created a presentation with 23 slides, 22 with a picture. The transition is split vertical in, slow. Four versions of the presentation were created, a ppt and a pps with a large WAV file (43,706 kb) and a ppt and a pps with a small WAV file (7,929) kb. Just to clarify, the sound was put in as a transition sound, not with Insert>movies and sounds>sound from file. The music will not play in the presentations with the larger WAV file; it does play in the presentations with the smaller WAV file. The transitions work in every version. Does PowerPoint have a problem with larger WAV files?

Thank you very much.
    Alan Silberlight

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: large WAV files in transitions (2003)

(Edited by HansV to make URL clickable - see <!help=19>Help 19<!/help>)

I believe I found the answer, in a Web-only article of Smart Computing. (here)
    <hr>PowerPoint is only directly compatible with sound files saved in the WAV file format that are smaller than a particular size. Compatible WAV sounds are embedded directly into the presentation and will therefore play on any computer. Sound files in other formats or that exceed a certain file size are linked, meaning they play from a folder on the PCwhere the presentation is created and not directly from the presentation file. To work around this problem you can convert incompatible sound files into WAV files using programs such as Illustrate's dBpowerAMP (free; www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc.htm), RMBSoft's AudioConvert ($49.95; www.rmbsoft.com/ac.asp), or Mystik Media's Blaze Media Pro ($50.00; www.blazemp.com/blaze_media_pro.asp).

If you think the problem is the result of a file that is too large, it is possible to modify PowerPoint to embed larger files. Open the Tools menu, click Options, select the General tab, and adjust the Link Sounds With Size Greater Than entry. This has a maximum value of 50MB (50,000KB), which should accommodate nearly any WAV file.<hr>
    I used dB Power Amp and it worked great. I created a WAV file of 21 mb. The presentation plays the sound perfectly.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

(Edited by HansV to make URL clickable - see <!help=19>Help 19<!/help>)

You might want to look at embedding wav files AND embedding mp3 files in the sounds section here
    http://www.PPTAlchemy.co.uk

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you so much for your help. It is much appreciated. I downloaded CDex and followed your directions to convince PP that an mp3 file was a wav file so that I could use it in transitions. It worked perfectly. One question: I tried the same thing changing the file extension from mp3 to wav. It did not work. I'm sure there must be a reason but I'm not sure what it was.
    Thank you again.
    Alan Silberlight

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for such a quick response. I just signed up for your newsletter.

Alan

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

John:

The link in your second post (634,587) doesn't work as it has two lots of 'http://' at the front. The link in your first post (632,982) works fine.

Just thought I'd mention it in case other loungers had a problem.

Regards,
    Regards,

Tony
    [s] [/s]
    www.SylviArtist.com

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

John will have to edit his signature for that.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

No you can't just change the extension to .wav. Cdex add a tiny header (only a few bytes) that basically says "This is a wav file, really it is!" as well as changing mp3 to wav. Hope you enjoyed our site and signed up for the newsletter!!!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I've done that - I didn't expect you first "http ://" to be auto added, I'm just to used to typing the full address!

Quote "If you believe you have a foolproof system, you've failed to take into consideration the creativity of fools"

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You probably had a space before the http:// in your URL originally. If the URL doesn't start with http://, the Lounge software adds it. It's OK now!