2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Funny Annual Appointments (2003 SP2 (11.8118.8107))

Recurring annual all day appointments (birthdays, holidays - -) I entered were fine when I entered them but many have now changed so the calendar view starts the day before and end on the day entered and there are little clock icons on each end of the entry. Does anyone know what this is? How did this happen and how do I fix it?

Thanks,
    Thanks,

C DeWitt

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: Funny Annual Appointments (2003 SP2 (11.8118.8107))

Joe

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Funny Annual Appointments (2003 SP2 (11.8118.8

Through Outlook 2003, All-Day Events are not tied to the date, they are tied to midnight through midnight. If you set All-All Day Event outside of Daylight Savings which occur during Daylight Savings (or vice versa), when the time period changes your All-day Events will be off by one hour. Joe's link seems to show that this is solved in Outlook 2007 - it's about time!
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Where would this time shift show up? When I look at the Appointment Recurrence dialog for a good one and a bad one, they look the same. Browsing through the Microsoft forum I've found several others that seem to have this problem too. It's been attributed to the DST update, changing time zones and selecting the "Show time as clocks" option but I've never changed time zones, never used the Show time as clocks option and it showed up last year before the DST update.
    BTW - for some reason email notification to me isn't working. I haven't gotten notice of any of these posts. (???)
    Thanks,

C DeWitt

Thanks

I too had that problem with Office '03 and to get around it all I did was unceck the All Day event. and select the start date and time and end date and time. Outlook '07 is the same way if you click on a day in the calendar to set an appointment the All Day event is checked and it rubs from 12:00 to 12:00. By un checking it you can set your appointment (trips in my case) and set the time frame and date. However if you click on New and then Appointment the All Day Event is not checked.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

That's interesting. When I periodically clean up my Calendar for this issue (I moved my office location one time zone recently, so I reveiwed all my All Day Eventss for 2007), I find that the All Day Event box is unchecked, so I usually recheck the All Day Evenet box appointment on the 23 hour part, and delete the one hour stub the next day (or prior day). Maybe your way is faster.
    UTC -7ąDS

Thanks

I don't know if it is any faster, but I do know it works quite well for me. I started doing it that way with Office '03, when I noticed that all of my pre-scheduled trips to Montana were from 12 to 12 and I couldn't change my pre-scheduled leave/arrival/meeting time.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

When a recurring or non-recurring all-day appointment is created, it is pinned from midnight to midnight, not to the day/date. If a DST or Time Zone change happens, the one hour (or any number of hours in the case of a time zone change) change is applied to the midnight to midnight , so you end up showing it as:

11:00 PM the prior day through 11:00 PM the intended day if you created it when DST wasn't applicable.
    1:00 AM the intended day through 1:00 AM the following day if you created it when DST was in force.

The problem doesn't show up when you review your recurrent appointment, because Outlook presents you with the times that were applicable on the day when you created the appointment. And neither Outlook nor the OS attempt to provide prospective UTC DST adjustments which would avert the problem; given some of the recent changes in DST, that's understandable.

The problem is well known as an Outlook annoyance, see the author's remarks in Office Watch 12.09,
    UTC -7ąDS

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I hear what your saying about changing time zones but I haven
    Thanks,

C DeWitt

Thanks

My wife asked me the other day why her clock was still an hour behind, when I had updated the DST. I didnt have an answer for so I looked at the clock settings and noticed that somehow the Adjust for DST had been un checked. Have you checked that? If it isn't checked it would throw off your schedule.
    Thanks John

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I just went an updated all the DST stuff on several computers and they're all fine. This has nothing to do with DST, I first noticed it last fall.
    Thanks,

C DeWitt

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I just found something interesting. If I open one of these odd appointments and click on the Recurrence button the dialog says 1Day, 12:00AM to 12:00AM. But if I select the Annual Events view and add the Start and End columns the same appointment shows start and end times of 1:00AM. If I then open the appointment from this view, click the Recurrence button, change nothing and OK it the time in the Annual Events view changes to 12:00AM and the appointment in the calendar view reverts to the way it should be displayed on a single day.
    Thanks,

C DeWitt